dbo.sort filling up tempdb every few months.

• Dear all, I have been having an issue where every few months we get an alert from a SQL 2012 server that tempdb is full. when I look at the growth history it usually has been running fine and then in a space of about 2 or 3 minutes grows from a size of about 25GB to a size of 50GB filling the lun it lives on. This will happen roughly every 3-6 months, the Server runs a single DB that is at this minute is roughly 80GB in total size(MDF) so I'm surprised that a query can be run that will fill TempDB.

Anyway I have already checked it is not being cause by our reindexing jobs. Is there a way to track what query is causing this? May guess is it is an adhoc report.

I get this alert,

DESCRIPTION: Could not allocate space for object 'dbo.SORT temporary run storage: 144124195241984' in database 'tempdb' because the 'PRIMARY' filegroup is full. Create disk space by deleting unneeded files, dropping objects in the filegroup, adding additional files to the filegroup, or setting autogrowth on for existing files in the filegroup.

• You can use Adam Machanic's sp_WhoIsActive to identify the culprit

😎

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply