DDL Changes

• Hello all.

I need to find a way to monitor ddl changes in stored procedures in SQL 2000. We've had problems with unauthorized changes being made in replication procedures that cause replication to stop, with no error messages showing up.

Any help or hints would be much appreciated.

TIA

Eric

• How about adding a trigger in the sysobjects table?

• I didn't think triggers were available on system tables. Am I wrong about this ?

Thanks.

• ok........they're not really......in Enterprise Mgr it looks like it's going to allow you to create a trigger, but then when you try to, it tells you 'permission denied'. Oh, well.....

Eric

• Looking at sysobjects with

SELECT name, xtype,base_schema_ver,schema_ver,refdate FROM sysobjects WHERE XTYPE ='p' ORDER BY Name

1. Ran the query

2. Went into the sp and altered same

3. Ran the queriy again

Results

Column Value before altering Value after altering

Name TT_AddKeyWord TT_AddKeyWord

xtype P P

base_shema_ver 32 48

schema_ver 32 48

refdate 2007-10-02 09:01:25.673 2007-10-02 09:01:25.673

Some one correct this posting if I am wrong. Notice the change in the values for base_shema_ver and schema_ver. If these indeed change with each alteration of the stored procedure then one could create a table using a select into, run the SP (Possibly a scheduled agent job) at some interval and then do a comparision of results based on changes in the base_schem_ver and/or schema_ver. This would tell you a change was made but of course not by whom, but if data was collected on a daily basis at least one could get an idea of when.

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read[/url]
    Before posting a performance problem please read[/url]

• Thanks for your input. We're a large shop, and not knowing who made the change still leaves us in a bind. We are moving to 2005 with DDL triggers, but it's a slow process.

• If you do not have a text file with all your SP's text. This might be an additional aide to store the text of all your SPs. Run this SP from Query Analyzer and either output the results to a text file or expand the procedure to store the results into a database table.. might make recovery time quicker.

CREATE PROCEDURE Dbo.RetrieveAllSPText

AS

DECLARE @Name VARCHAR(128)

DECLARE SpNames CURSOR

FOR SELECT so.name FROM sysobjects so WHERE so.xtype = 'p' AND name NOT LIKE 'dt_%' ORDER BY so.name

OPEN SpNames

FETCH NEXT FROM SpNames INTO @Name

WHILE @@FETCH_STATUS = 0

BEGIN

SELECT ROUTINE_SCHEMA AS 'Schema Name', ROUTINE_NAME, ROUTINE_DEFINITION, CREATED From INFORMATION_SCHEMA.ROUTINES

where ROUTINE_TYPE='PROCEDURE' and ROUTINE_NAME = @Name

FETCH NEXT FROM SpNames INTO @Name

END

CLOSE SpNames

DEALLOCATE SpNames

The following might help you narrow down who might be doing the "bad" thing to your SP

1. Run SP_Who2

2. Select each user's spid.

3. The run DBCC INPUTBUFFER (spid)

Look in the even info column... one short coming, it will only display the first 255 characters of the command. Admittedly sort of a hit or miss method, but the best I can come up with.

Hope it helps

Ron

• You have to believe me - read this article at 10:55 PM.

It appears to be all of what you might need. Give it a try

http://searchsqlserver.techtarget.com/tip/0,289483,sid87_gci1308141,00.html?track=NL-414&ad=633481&asrc=EM_NLT_3420820&uid=667360

Ron

• Thank you ! I'll definately look into it.

Eric

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply