Exec DTS from a NON-SQL Server?

• My DW team has a Esbasse server that they want to initiate the DTSRun utility on that will go to a SQL Server and run a DTS package. I know you used to be able to separate the DTS Utility from the rest of SQL Server (back in 7.0 RTM), but can I still do this and how? Or is there another solution to having a non-SQL server initiate a DTS package on a SQL Server?

Thanks,

• you can call dtsrun command using xp_cmdshell

• Thank you for answering. However, xp_cmdshell isn't available on the originating server because SQL Server isn't installed. Anyone else have any ideas? Possibly a third-party solution?

• Where do you want the DTS package to execute?

If you want it to run on the non-SQL Server, install the SQL Server Client tools and save the DTS packages to that server as structured storage files. Then you can use DTSRun to execute the packages.

To execute the packages on the SQL Server. Setup a SQL Agent job to execute the package and make sure the job executes successfully. Install the SQL Server Client tools on the non-SQL Server (just the basics, you don't need EM) then use osql to execute sp_start_job on the SQL Server.

Hope this helps

Phill Carter

--------------------

Colt 45 - the original point and click interface

Edited by - phillcart on 09/29/2003 5:25:40 PM

--------------------
    Colt 45 - the original point and click interface

• Phil,

Never even thought of either solution. Thank you SO much. Both are suitable for their purposes.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply