Exporting to Excel from an SP.

• Hi All,

I'd be very grateful if you could give me some advice on the best way to export data to Excel.

I have a sql table which holds around 100k records. These are split into 10 category id's.

What I need to do is select X columns from this table where the category = '1' and then export that to excel as Category1.xls. I then need to iterate this to work through the other 9 categories so I'm left with 10 excel files.

Which in your expert opinions would be the best way to achieve this? In particular how to update a variable field after creating the first Excel output file.

Many, many thanks for any advice you can give me.

Wardy.

• Wardy

If you only have ten categories then it's probably worth setting up ten separate file connections and ten separate dataflow tasks. If you don't want to do that, then you will need to derive the connection string property (if that's what it's called) of the file connection from a variable and change the value of that variable using a script task after each iteration.

John

• Sorry John I forgot to mention that further categories would be added to the table so I'd prefer to create the Excel files dynamically.

• Wardy

In that case, put all your file names in a table and use a For Each Loop task to loop through them.

John

• Many thanks

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply