FETCH with Table Variable?

• Heya All,

If I can't use FETCH no need to read further if I can...

..for my first trick in using table variables I wanted to store the list of tables in a db , then move through it printing each table. I know there are probably better ways to perform this as I am implying I'm trying to learn about table variables.

I keep getting a message that I must DECLARE @DBTables from the code below. Am I missing something obvious.

DECLARE @TableCount int, @Table_Name nvarchar(128)

SET @TableCount = 0

SET @Table_Name = ''

-- Get a list of the tables

DECLARE @DBTables TABLE ( TABLE_NAME nvarchar(128) )

INSERT INTO @DBTables SELECT TABLE_NAME

FROM INFORMATION_SCHEMA.TABLES

WHERE TABLE_TYPE = 'BASE TABLE'

ORDER BY TABLE_NAME

-- Verify we have at least 1 table

SET @TableCount = @@ROWCOUNT

IF @TableCount > 0 BEGIN

FETCH NEXT FROM @DBTables

-- Move through the list of tables

WHILE (@@FETCH_STATUS = 0) BEGIN

PRINT @Table_Name

Much Thanks,

Steve Dingle

• Why not use SELECT TABLE_NAME

FROM INFORMATION_SCHEMA.TABLES

WHERE TABLE_TYPE = 'BASE TABLE'

ORDER BY TABLE_NAME

as the source of the trigger?

also you might want to check : EXEC SP_MsForEachTable 'PRINT ''?'''

• Heya Ninja

Thanks for your response, as I had mentioned, there are probably better ways to do what I want but I am trying to get the hang of what I can/can't do with table variables. So this is a learning experience for me on those (table variables). None of the examples i have come across show a way to move through them.

FWIW, my end result is to create a SP which will be creating dynamic SQL statements based on table namd and fields and processing them... but I'm taking babay steps 🙂

So, do you know if I can use FETCH with a table variable to loop/move through contents of that table variable? Or is there another prefered method

Much Thanks,

Steve Dingle

• Exemple : Select count(*) FROM ALL tables.  I suggest you run this on a small database like pubs or northwind...

CREATE TABLE #Results (TableName VARCHAR(128), Total INT)

INSERT INTO #Results (TableName, Total)

EXEC SP_MsForEachTABLE 'SELECT ''?'' AS TableName, COUNT(*) AS Total FROM ?'

SELECT TableName, Total FROM #Results ORDER BY Total DESC, TableName

DROP TABLE #Results

• And for using table name you'd have to use a cursor like so :

DECLARE authors_cursor CURSOR   FOR SELECT * FROM @TableVarOPEN authors_cursorFETCH NEXT FROM authors_cursor

BTW You'll then have to use dynamic sql to do anything with the table.
  • Hello Ninja

Thanks again for your response. Since you are using a temp table in one and a cursor in another, I'll take it to mean I cannot use a table variable with FETCH.

Much Thanks,

Steve Dingle

• You can but it must be in the source of the cursor.  The fetch command works only with the cursor... nothing else.

• Thanks again. FWIW, the reason I kept on about Table variable was because most stuff I was reading said to use them as your first choice if you could, then temp tables, then cursors

Much Thanks,

Steve Dingle

• It's good to keep that in mind... However table variables and temp tables are often interchangable.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply