Forcing Strong Passwords

• I just experienced something new. Dropbox (which I don't often use) has a sign in feature, I enter my email address and instead of typing a password they have a link that says, "Email me a sign in link". I thought this was nice and easy.

One security measure I noticed that they have is that you must be using the same browser. I found this out because I did the sign in from Firefox but I.E. is my default browser so after I clicked the link in my email, I.E. opened but the page said I must open the link in the same browser. Futhermore, I couldn't reuse the link in FF either as it was a one-and-done link. I assume this feature is requiring the same browser from the same device, but I haven't investigated it.

Any opinions on this process?

• Lots of companies are doing a much better job of this. New phone and new laptop in the last month. each time I've signed into Dropbox/Github/FB/others, I get a note that a "new" device was used. Appreciate the warning.

• I like the authentication codes. Very secure. Now if only financial institutions could follow suit...

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

• We are going to stronger, and longer, passwords.

Viewing 4 posts - 31 through 33 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply