Get percentages

• Based upon some earlier help from people on this forum, I came up with the following query:

Select Count (DISTINCT PL.PLid)

FROM workrequest WR

INNER JOIN ProviderLink PL

ON WR.WRid = PL.PLworkrequestID

WHERE PL.PLcurrentStatus < '90'
    AND ((PL.Pltat + PL.Plunworkable) > '75' AS decimal) / COUNT(*) * 100) AS decimal(5,2)

I always get a "Incorrect syntax near the keyword 'AS'." error when running it.

What it SHOULD do, is get the percentage of workrequests that are over 75 days old.

So I am trying to query that and then divide the total to get the percentage.

Could anyone see any errors?

thanks!

• Change your last line to the following:

AND (cast(((PL.Pltat + PL.Plunworkable) > '75' AS decimal) / COUNT(*) * 100) as decimal(5,2))

the "as" clause as you were using it was trying to assign the resulting column a "name", additionally you had an extra ")" in the mix. I don't know if your query will produce what you want but this should get you past the syntax error.

James.

• Now I get a "Line 6: Incorrect syntax near '>'."

tried switching some things around, but can't get around this error

• What is (pl.pltat + pl.plunworkable) > '75' supposed to do? That actually ends that part of the statement and the "AS DECIMAL" accomplishes nothing.

I guess I should have looked closer. This statement will not work. I really can only make a guess at what you want to do.

how about this:

AND (pl.plat + pl.plunworkable) / count(*) * 100) > 75

That looks like what you want, but you can't put an aggregate in the where clause like that. So basically the entire premis is bad.

Post a sample table with four or five test records along with the expected results. I can then help you achive the result you want.

• providerlink table

PLid   PLworkRequestID   PLcurrentStatus   PLtat   PLunworkable

PL203602   WR27904         90      39      73

PL203605   WR30397         90      2      27

PL204371   WR29892         11      38      76

PL204374   WR29892         90      23      61

PL205765   WR30018         90      72      27

PL207872   WR29683         11      79      0

PL207874   WR30775         11      12      0

So I want to find the percentage of records that, where PLtat + PLunworkable is greater than 75. So for the sample data above, I can see that 5 out of the 7 records meets that criteria, so that would be 71%.

• Using your example data, the following should work

BEGIN

set nocount on

declare @ProviderLink table (PLid varchar(10), PLworkRequestID varchar(10), PLcurrentStatus int, PLtat int, PLunworkable int)

insert into @ProviderLink values ('PL203602',   'WR27904',        90,     39,      73)

insert into @ProviderLink values ('PL203605',   'WR30397',        90,     2 ,     27)

insert into @ProviderLink values ('PL204371',   'WR29892',        11,     38,      76)

insert into @ProviderLink values ('PL204374',   'WR29892',        90,     23,      61)

insert into @ProviderLink values ('PL205765',   'WR30018',        90,     72,      27)

insert into @ProviderLink values ('PL207872',   'WR29683',        11,     79,      0)

insert into @ProviderLink values ('PL207874',   'WR30775',        11,     12,      0)

--This is the only statement you need, adjust to fit your actual table/column names

select cast(((select cast(count(*) as decimal) from @providerlink where pltat + plunworkable > 75) /

(select cast(count(*) as decimal) from @providerlink) * 100) as decimal(4,2)) as [percent]

END

/* OUTPUT:

percent

*/       

• See if this helps

SELECT

((SUM(CASE WHEN (PL.Pltat + PL.Plunworkable) > 75 THEN 1.0 ELSE 0.0 END) / CAST(Count(*) as decimal(10,5))) * 100.00) AS Percentage,

ROUND(((SUM(CASE WHEN (PL.Pltat + PL.Plunworkable) > 75 THEN 1.0 ELSE 0.0 END) / CAST(Count(*) as decimal(10,5))) * 100.00),0) AS RoundedPercentage

FROM 

ProviderLink PL

• Antares686: I receive an "Arithmetic overflow error converting numeric to data type numeric." error when running that query...I assume I need to do another CAST somewhere?

Thanks

• No need for even a single CAST or CASE...

SELECT (

SELECT COUNT(*) * 100.0

FROM @ProviderLink

WHERE PLtat + PLunworkable > 75

) 

/ (COUNT(*)) AS Percentage

FROM @ProviderLink

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Jeff: Nice!  But maybe just one little cast to get the decimal to round to 2 places

• LOL!  This is where I'm supposed to say something like "Do it in the app"...

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Jeff...that is beautiful...thank you!

• My pleasure, Maqy... thank you and James for the feedback.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Yes, saving a CASE is nice thing, but I would prefer to use one CASE instead of repeating query to the same table:

SELECT COUNT(case when PLtat + PLunworkable > 75 then 1 else NULL end) * 100.0

/ COUNT(*) AS Percentage

FROM @ProviderLink

Gonna be twice faster.

• Heh... nice job Serqiy... guess I didn't have enough coffee   I didn't think of the crosstab-like solution.  Very cool.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply