Help - New to T-SQL

• hmm ok and to the other method, not sure quite wat it does, as far i can tell creates a table with 8000 records with values 1-8000

then the second part runs through 5 times

takes the top 10 records making a variable mod by doing pknumber % 2 (not sure wat that is lol)

and then use the newid to randomly choose, but on output get no 2s

edit:

ok worked out how to get 2 changed it to 3, ok any chance of making this a decimal? eg 0.111 would like 3 digits after the . and also how do i then put this inside the current query

tried replacing the rand with the select statement but got error and then tried this, seems to work but they go down to 1 and never back up also get odd error message:

Server: Msg 156, Level 15, State 1, Line 1

Incorrect syntax near the keyword 'Select'.

but this is the current code lol

DECLARE @RandomisedNumber decimal

DECLARE @SQL NVARCHAR(500)

SET @SQL = N'SET @RandomisedNumber = Select top 1 PkNumber, PkNumber % 3 as mod from dbo.Numbers order by Newid()'

EXEC sp_executesql @SQL, N'@RandomisedNumber decimal OUTPUT' ,@RandomisedNumber OUTPUT

Update ViewWeeklyFormUpdate

Set Form =

Case round( cast( StableHands as int)/22 + CAST(@RandomisedNumber as varchar(255)),0)

When 1 Then Cast(Form as Int)

When 2 Then

Case

When (Form+1)=6 Then Cast(Form as Int)

Else Cast(Form as Int) +1

End

Else

Case

When (Form-1)=0 Then Cast(Form as Int)

Else Cast(Form as Int) -1

End

End

• the other alternative version i have once again still not random for each updates record:

DECLARE @RandomisedNumber decimal

DECLARE @SQL NVARCHAR(500)

SET @SQL = N'SET @RandomisedNumber = (rand() * 2)'

EXEC sp_executesql @SQL, N'@RandomisedNumber decimal OUTPUT' ,@RandomisedNumber OUTPUT

Set Form =

Case round( cast( StableHands as int)/22 + CAST(@RandomisedNumber as varchar(255)),0)

When 2 Then

Case

End

Else

Case

End

End

• All my method does is generate new random numbers everytime the query is run. But if you run this query as a subquery then it is run 1 time for each record in the set (by using select top 1 instead of top 10)... meaning you get a new rand for each line... then you can do whatever you want to that number (didn't read the whole logic you are trying to accomplish after that).

exemple (note the "where O.id = O.id" in the subquery to force sql server to rerun the query at each line)

Select O.Name, (Select top 1 PkNumber from dbo.Numbers where O.id = O.id order by Newid()) as RandNum from dbo.SysObjects O where O.XType = 'U' order by O.Name

• I'm going to repost this solution because a) the other solutions are still using row-based logic and, even worse, dynamic SQL for every row; and b) I don't think you understood it.

"stable hands is different between owners" Isn't StableHands a field in ViewWeeklyFormUpdate?  This code is using the correct StableHands value for each horse.  By the way, if StableHands only goes to 10 why are you dividing it by 22?  Int(StableHands)/22 will always return 0 for StableHands < 22.  In VB, "/" is always a floating-point operation (so Round(Int(StableHands)/22) = 1 for StableHands > 10).  In T-SQL, "/" is an integer operation (like VB "\") if both the numerator and denominator are integer types.  I've adjusted the numbers in the T-SQL code to allow for this.

"want a diff rand for each horse" - that's what NEWID() does, it generates a unique, random number for each row.  But think in sets, you want to randomly assign each horse to one of three groups.  Selecting a random group of 1/3 of the horses is the same thing, you don't care what the actual random value is for each horse.

-- Fewer than 11 stablehands: 1/3 decrement (1 min), 1/3 increment (5 max)

-- 11-32 stablehands: 2/3 increment (5 max)

-- 33+ stablehands: all increment (5 max)

create table #decrement (HorseID int not null primary key clustered)

-- Determine which horses will be decremented

-- 33% of (StableHands < 11)

insert into #decrement

select top 33 percent HorseID

from ViewWeeklyFormUpdate

where StableHands < 11

order by newid()

update ViewWeeklyFormUpdate set Form = Form - 1

where Form > 1 and HorseID in (select HorseID from #decrement)

-- Determine which horses will be incremented

-- 50% of (StableHands < 11) that were not decremented

-- 67% of (11 <= StableHands < 33)

-- All StableHands >= 33

update ViewWeeklyFormUpdate set Form = Form + 1

where Form < 5 and (StableHands >= 33 or HorseID in (

select top 50 percent HorseID from ViewWeeklyFormUpdate

where StableHands < 11 and HorseID not in (select HorseID from #decrement)

order by newid()

union all

select top 67 percent HorseID from ViewWeeklyFormUpdate

where (StableHands between 11 and 32)

order by newid()))

drop table #decrement

• Thank you for the great explanation. am going to think on it today how to work into what i use. Here is a rough outline of what I wanted the forumla to do:

StableHands /22 = decimal value. eg 0.65 1.33 etc etc then a random decimal between 0-2 eg 0.222 1.343 2.823 so if u had more stablehands the higher the chance of getting 1 or 2 than having no stablehands.

then with this rounded to = either 0,1 or 2 then change the horses form accordingly.

0 goes down unless form already 1
    1 stays the same
    2 goes up unless already 5

edit: well at least that is what the VB version did lol

I once again got to say thank you to everyone who is helping, I am getting to understand a lil (and i know is hardly anything) about T-SQL and it is all really helping. Thank you again.

Dagaz
  • hmmm no replies?

• I've been too busy to read my email lately, but I'll take another shot at enlightening you.

First, the problem with the formula "IntegerField / 22" in T-SQL is you will have a truncated integer result, with no decimals and no rounding.  The answer is 0 for values 0-21, 1 for 22-43, etc.  If you need to do this use "IntegerField / 22.0" to force a decimal result.

Second, you seem to be determined to use this formula row-by-row just like you do in Visual Basic.  To coin a phrase, "It doesn't look like we're in Visual Basic anymore, Toto!".  Try to find a set-based solution.

You're using Int(StableHands / 22) to break all the horses into different groups that have different probablilities of being incremented/decremented.  Now maybe between all your Int() and Round() functions I got confused about the boundary between groups and the exact probabilities (Is it 1-10; 11+ stablehands or 1-21;22+?  Is it 33%/33%/33% or 16%/33%/50%?) but the structure of the solution is correct.

• Ok am back LOL, Here is my latest attempt:

Declare @i as int

Declare @LstHrse as int

set @i = 0

set @LstHrse = 'Select Top 1 HorseID From TblHorses Order by HorseID Desc'

while @i < @LstHrse

begin

Set Form =

Case round( cast( StableHands as int)/22 + (rand() * 2),0)

When 2 Then

Case

End

Else

Case

End

End

Where HorseID = @LstHrse

end

only thing is it says:

Error: Syntax error converting the varchar value 'Select Top 1 HorseID From TblHorses Order by HorseID Desc' to a column of data type int.
  • You can't do that

Where HorseID = @LstHrse

end

means

Where HorseID = 'what ever you typed here but in varchar format'.

• yeh sorry changed it to I so it does it for HorseID=@I

thanks for the help, finally got it lol, and yeh does it row by row.
  • Yes we can all see that... hopefully you'll make it work in a set based operation someday.

Good luck.

• hmm trouble is each horse is different and needs a different form change. I can't see how to make it set based

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply