• hi friends,

I'm planing to launch an site, In which I'm going to Use SQL Server 2000,

I'n future there may be Million of Users. So now how should I Design a

Database and where should I concentrate, and what i should do and

what not to do.

Please Guide Me,

Thanks In Advance

___
    Known Is An Drop,Unknown Is An Ocean....
    Njoy Programming
    🙂

• This is a subject far to great for a single post on a forum.

I suggest you start from square one, and read this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Handbook-Relational-Database-Candace-Fleming/dp/0201114348

...that will provide the groundwork of the theory and design aspect.

/Kenneth

• windows_mss (4/9/2008)

hi friends,

I'm planing to launch an site, In which I'm going to Use SQL Server 2000,

I'n future there may be Million of Users. So now how should I Design a

Database and where should I concentrate, and what i should do and

what not to do.

Please Guide Me,

Thanks In Advance

This is a very general question. It is worth to read a little bit about the theoretical background for DB design. The two most important things:

Entity relationship model (this will help you to map your real world objects and requirements to tables)

Normalization

(Database Systems: The Complete Book by Hector Garcia-Molina, Jeffrey D. Ullman, and Jennifer D. Widom is a very good source; note that you need only a few chapters from this)

You can get the same information online too if you prefer that.

Regards,

Andras

Andras Belokosztolszki, MCPD, PhD
    GoldenGate Software

• At least you asked a nice simple question...

Learn some relational design methods. Make sure you take the time to pick good clustered indexes for your tables. Concentrate on set based logic in your queries. Test everything.

That's it. Nice & easy. Have fun.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• I know this was not the question you asked but I am wondering if you now are just getting ready to do this why you are using SQL 2000 since suport for this ends this month? Why not use 2005?

• Or even go ahead and start developing against SQL Server 2008. It's going to take you a few months to build an application that will host millions of users, so start against 2008 and your app will have a longer shelf-life.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• http://r937.com/relational.html

---------------------------------------
    elsasoft.org

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply