How to Handle this process

• Hi All,

I doing a SQL Check Count like this:

SELECT COUNT(*) FROM Table1 WHERE DateSubmission IN (SELECT DISTINCT DateSubmission FROM Table2)

If the count > 0 then

Don't load the records from table1 into table2

If the count = 0 then

Load the records from table1 into table2

How can I accomplish this task in a DTS package. I have a SQL Task that only returns success or failure. I don't need that because I'll always receive a success, because it will always return a value. Would I use ActiveX script and how do I accomplish this. I'm not really looking to fail I just don't want to load duplicate data base on the date.

Thanks,

• You can use EXECUTE SQL Task and inside it you can have global input/output variables...

SELECT ? = COUNT(*) FROM Table1 WHERE DateSubmission IN (SELECT DISTINCT DateSubmission FROM Table2)

WHERE the value of ? can be assigned to a global variable..

--Ramesh

• Having got the result into a global variable, you will need to use an ActiveX script to interrogate the value of the global variable and then enable or disable the load step as appropriate.

Jez

• Work around this problem can be to have SQL task as you have but inside SQL to raise error in one case, something like:

if (select count(*)...) > 0 raiserror('message', 16, 1)

But I don't understand why not to use your query as data source and table2 as destination? Is it possible?

• Hi All,

Thanks for you input. This is how I handle this (due to time constraints) Within the sproc that loads the new data.

I created a quick check against the temp table vs source table

DECLARE @CheckCount INT

--- This is the check to determine if there are existing records

SET @CheckCount = (SELECT COUNT(*) FROM TempTable WHERE Date IN (SELECT DISTINCT Date FROM SourceTable))

If @CheckCount = 0

BEGIN

INSERT New data

END

It's a quick work around

Thanks,

• SET @CheckCount = (SELECT COUNT(*) FROM TempTable WHERE Date IN (SELECT DISTINCT Date FROM SourceTable))

This statement will probably need a scan of the entire table or the clustered index....

I suggest you should change your statement to...

IF NOT EXISTS( (SELECT * FROM TempTable WHERE Date IN(SELECT DISTINCT Date FROM SourceTable) ) )

BEGIN

INSERT New data

END

--Ramesh

• or even simpler, in one command (according to the first post):

Insert into table2

select table1.*

from table1 left join table2

on table1.DateSubmission = table2.DateSubmission

where table2.DateSubmission is null

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply