how to prevent automatic clearing of job histories?

• Hi again,

one other problem. I have two SQL Server 2000 instances on an active/active MS Cluster. On one instance jobhistories seem to be cleared automatically every 2 or 3 hours and I am not able to find out where or how to stop this. The number of job history entries seems to be limited to 50 entries as well on both instances. I would be glad to adjust this either.

any ideas?

• Using Enterprise Manager drill thru the treeview side to the SQL instance you want to review. Then drill down thru that instance thru Management to SQL Server Agent. From there right click on SQL Server Agent and select Properties. When the Properties dialog opens switch to the "Job System" tab (that is the title in 2K EM I think is the same in 7 but not 100% sure) there to can turn of the limiting of the log size or adjust the overall log size. I suggest adjusting the overall log size simply because if you turn of limit you could fill up your msdb database and cause performance issues or the server could stall. With it off you have to remember to peridically go out and clear them, and somewhere down the line this will be forgotten about.

• Oh, thank you, this is where I can adjust the maximum number of lines of jobhistory entries. But the adjustments are identically on both instances. May be, the clearing of job history on one instance relates to my replmerge replication running on this instance only. On this instance there is one job that runs a sp_MShistory_cleanup @history_retention = 192 each 10 minutes ... ?

• The more jobs you have (even for replication) on a server and the more times they run means the more overall lines that are written to the log. There is a option there for each jobs retention but as they all add up and reach the max for the log itself they oldest items get pushed out first. This is why you would see a difference even if the settings are the same.

• Sounds good. Thank you very much. I have increased the total number of lines for jobhistory and will have a look on the history logs and the size of the msdb as well.

Sincerly

Karsten

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply