How to restore master,msdb database from sql server 2005 to sql server 2008

• Hi,

We are currently using sql server 2005 in production. We are planning to use sql server 2008 with cluster. We installed the server. I want to use my current msdb and master database with any change with jobs users maintance plans etc. Please help me about this situation.

Omer Colakoglu

• you should probably think more about scripting 'out' your jobs and logins and then scripting them back 'in' to the new server. everything you need to move can be scripted. logins, jobs, linked servers.... right click on the object on the 2005 server and choose 'Create to... new query editor window'

on the new query window, change your connection to the new 2008 server and run the script.

• i have alrady tried the scripting job below but i got the error like,

"Msg 515, Level 16, State 2, Procedure sp_add_job, Line 137

Cannot insert the value NULL into column 'owner_sid', table 'msdb.dbo.sysjobs'; column does not allow nulls. INSERT fails.

The statement has been terminated.

"

USE [msdb]

GO

/****** Object: Job [BACKUP DURDUR] Script Date: 09/13/2010 14:53:57 ******/

BEGIN TRANSACTION

DECLARE @ReturnCode INT

SELECT @ReturnCode = 0

/****** Object: JobCategory [[Uncategorized (Local)]]] Script Date: 09/13/2010 14:53:57 ******/

IF NOT EXISTS (SELECT name FROM msdb.dbo.syscategories WHERE name=N'[Uncategorized (Local)]' AND category_class=1)

BEGIN

EXEC @ReturnCode = msdb.dbo.sp_add_category @class=N'JOB', @type=N'LOCAL', @name=N'[Uncategorized (Local)]'

IF (@@ERROR <> 0 OR @ReturnCode <> 0) GOTO QuitWithRollback

END

DECLARE @jobId BINARY(16)

EXEC @ReturnCode = msdb.dbo.sp_add_job @job_name=N'BACKUP DURDUR',

@enabled=1,

@notify_level_eventlog=0,

@notify_level_email=0,

@notify_level_netsend=0,

@notify_level_page=0,

@delete_level=0,

@description=N'INDEX ÇALILIYORKEN BACKUP DURDURUR',

@category_name=N'[Uncategorized (Local)]',

@owner_login_name=N'ERPMERKEZ580\Administrator', @job_id = @jobId OUTPUT

EXEC @ReturnCode = msdb.dbo.sp_update_job @job_id = @jobId, @start_step_id = 1

EXEC @ReturnCode = msdb.dbo.sp_add_jobserver @job_id = @jobId, @server_name = N'(local)'

COMMIT TRANSACTION

GOTO EndSave

QuitWithRollback:

IF (@@TRANCOUNT > 0) ROLLBACK TRANSACTION

EndSave:

GO

• does this person exist yet on the new 2008 server ?

ERPMERKEZ580\Administrator

if not, either add them OR change your scripted out job with the proper login.

• Yep you are great. I didnt care that the server names are different. I changed the erpmerkez580 to new server and i works. Thank you for your atention:)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply