HTTP Error 503. The service is unavailable

• Hi,

I have Power BI Report Server (May 2019) installed on SQL Server 2016 Enterprise working perfectly.

But today I was upgrading to the September 2019 version, the installation completed normally, but when I opened the reports the following message was displayed in the browser:

HTTP Error 503. The service is unavailable

I checked everything:

- I checked logged in log files: C: \ Program Files \ Microsoft Power BI Report Server \ PBIRS \ LogFiles, but found no errors.

- I checked if service stopped.

- I uninstalled and installed, but the same error occurred.

But I was able to install Power BI Report Server (September 2019) on another server running SQL Server 2014.

Has anyone had this problem?

Is it a bug in this release, which does not let install in SQL Server 2016, only in SQL 2014?.

Thanks.

_Keny

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • Thanks for posting your issue and hopefully someone will answer soon.

This is an automated bump to increase visibility of your question.

• My next thought on things to check would be the IIS logs.  If the PBI logs look fine, it is likely something in your IIS logs.

As a random guess (as we do not run Power BI where I work), did the upgrade change the port it is listening on or change it to secure (https)?

Since the PBI logs don't show anything interesting, I would start looking at other logs.  Windows event log, IIS log, SQL Server logs.  There must be some log that gives you some useful information.

The above is all just my opinion on what you should do. 
    As with all advice you find on a random internet forum - you shouldn't blindly follow it.  Always test on a test server to see if there is negative side effects before making changes to live!
    I recommend you NEVER run "random code" you found online on any system you care about UNLESS you understand and can verify the code OR you don't care if the code trashes your system.

• HTTP Error 503. The service is unavailable.

This is out dev box and has no access to Internet , have installed the .net framework 4.8 and reboot the server .

Restarted the powerBi service but still the problem persists ..

Any other suggestions and recommendations

• Hello JSB_89,

Have you checked the logs?  That would be my first step.  Check PBI logs and IIS logs and windows event logs.  One of them should have something useful in it.

The above is all just my opinion on what you should do. 
    As with all advice you find on a random internet forum - you shouldn't blindly follow it.  Always test on a test server to see if there is negative side effects before making changes to live!
    I recommend you NEVER run "random code" you found online on any system you care about UNLESS you understand and can verify the code OR you don't care if the code trashes your system.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply