installing Query Analyzer

• Can Query Analyzer be installed by itself without having to install the rest of SQL Server 2000? I just want to use it as a tool for people in the department to use to connect to the server and run their own queries. I don't really want each person to have to install a full local version of SQL Sever just so they  can connnect to the server to run queries.

Any help would be great!

• Brian

Yes - go as if you're installing SQL Server, but choose Client Tools instead when you're given the choice.

John

• Thanks john

• And then once you choose Client Tools, you will get a window where you can choose what client tools you want to install (Books OnLine, QA, Enterprise Manager, debugger, etc.)

-SQLBill

• Does your license limit you to how many workstations can run Query Analyzer, as long as you don't install a database on those workstations?

Thanks,

Mattie

• This depends on your licensing and usage. For example (assuming your are licensing compliant) if you have a SQL Server application that User1 has on his client PC that connects to ServerA and you give User1 QA you do not have licensing issues. However if User1 does not have a SQL Server application on his client PC then you do.

Mind you this is just one example.

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

• Rudy,

Thanks so much for your answer.  So if I understand you correctly, I can have QA on my machine to access any number of servers, as long as I have a license for SQL Server.  If I don't have a license, then I can't install QA.

Thanks,

Mattie

• I never really thought of licensing on QA. I just figured that what they were concerned with was how many of the database engine you installed.

But if it's really a problem, then I'm sure that there are plenty of free QA 'knockoffs' out there.

Probably some that are better than QA.

Live to Throw
    Throw to Live
    Will Summers

• Its not the licensing of QA or client utilities its the usage of SQL Server.

• By client - one license per server you access from you workstation.
    • By Seat - as many servers as you want to from you workstation.
    • By CPU - for web database servers.

Additionally, depending on what type of customer you are and your agreements the proces can be discounted as well.

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply