Keeping client database up-to-date

• Using SS2K. I have a database on my server which is the meta data used by my application. I need to get this data onto a client SQL Server and subsequently keep it up-to-date.

A key issue is that this will all be done programmatically. I will not have physical access to the clients server in anyway. More than likely I will have scripts and files which is called from inside C# app

So I see myself having 3 issues.

1) Create the database if it doesn't exist - not a biggie already have a script for that

2) If I created database, add all the data. Here I am having a problem because of RI triggers. I have to make sure I add record into the table in the proper order (i.e. Add Parent Record before Child record). Since I am using trigger for RI as opposed to FORIEGN KEY constraints I can't use SP_FKEYS

Was thinking of using a backup/restore type scenario but I am wondering if it would be better to have the next task and this as part of the same

3) I have made changes to my copy of the database (structural and data) and I need to update the client's database. Add/Remove tables, Insert/Update/Delete records. Question is how do I know what is different.

Just trying to get some ideas of where to start with all this. Come up with a decent plan

With so many products using databases to hold metadata information, I can't image this is so unique a need but I just can't seem to find enough leads dong random searches

Any thoughts greatly appreciated

Much Thanks,

Steve Dingle

• Sounds like a good candidate for transactional replication.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Hello Gail thanks for the response

>> Sounds like a good candidate for transactional replication.

If I understand the help file correctly, that would assume the servers are connected. This is not the case. Basically I am developing an application which requires the use of a database on a clients server. I will have no access to their server (and I hope there are many clients 🙂 ) except in the form of some sort of update program I would provide, which I assume will be using some sort of script

Much Thanks,

Steve Dingle

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply