Login failed password did not match for SQL loin

• solomon.jernas (5/9/2016)

Error:

Login Failed for user 'APP' Reason Password did not matche that for the login provided

Error No : 18456 : Serverity 14 State 8

State 8 means that the hash of the provided password doesn't match the stored hash... The wrong password is being supplied.

Is there any possibility that the password was mis-typed in SSMS? In 2012, it is case sensitive.

Are you absolutely sure that SSMS and SQLCMD are both trying to connect to same server / instance?

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• Note that it will say "the login provided" even if you attempted to connect as a contained database user but forgot to specify a database, specified the wrong database, or typed the password incorrectly (cASe sEnsiTiVitY catches a lot of folks here) - unless it finds a match, SQL Server doesn't have any idea you were attempting to use a contained database user.

• HI

I can connect SSMS by windows account, it works.

No problem in windows domain account,

I can connect Via SQLCMD by SQL account, it works.

But problem is i could not connect SQL account VIA SSMS , when i try ,error throw " Password did not match login provided"

That why i am suspect anyting issue in SSMS studio only for SQL user account connction...

HI

But problem is i could not connect SQL account VIA SSMS , when i try ,error throw " Password did not match login provided"

That why i am suspect anyting issue in SSMS studio only for SQL user account connction...

Did you try using another SQL account?

Also, how are you running SQLCMD? Via SSMS or via a command prompt window? Are you using a file to run your connection or connecting manually?

We can't help if you won't answer these questions.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

HI

Any messages in the SQL Server error log around the time of the attempted login?

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server/Data Platform MVP (2006-2016)
    Visit my SQL Server blog: https://sqlserverfast.com/blog/
    SQL Server Execution Plan Reference: https://sqlserverfast.com/epr/

• Hello. I have the same problem, can you please help me with some advises?

I can not connect from SSMS using sql users from a computer with windows 10 (let's say computer X). I already have tried (using the same sql server instance):
    - connect from computer X with windows login - OK;
    - verify SQL authentication - it's set mixed - OK;
    - connect from other computers with windows users - OK;
    - connect from other computers with sql users - OK;
    - verify sql user password - OK;
    - try with other sql user from computer X - login failed;
    - verify error log -  login failed" (Error 18456), state 8;
    - install SSMS 2014 and SSMS  2012 - same error with sql user;
    - telnet from computer X to SQL Server on 1433 - OK;
    - try with sql server name - same results;
    - try with sql server IP - same results;
    - connect from computer X with sql user using sqlcmd (from cmd) - OK

I can't understand why is working from sqlcmd and from SSMS sends error (login failed). SQLCMD uses something else (port, protocol, DNS, etc...)?

Thank you!

• l.ambrozie - Monday, August 14, 2017 2:24 PM

Hello. I have the same problem, can you please help me with some advises?

I can not connect from SSMS using sql users from a computer with windows 10 (let's say computer X). I already have tried (using the same sql server instance):
    - connect from computer X with windows login - OK;
    - verify SQL authentication - it's set mixed - OK;
    - connect from other computers with windows users - OK;
    - connect from other computers with sql users - OK;
    - verify sql user password - OK;
    - try with other sql user from computer X - login failed;
    - verify error log -  login failed" (Error 18456), state 8;
    - install SSMS 2014 and SSMS  2012 - same error with sql user;
    - telnet from computer X to SQL Server on 1433 - OK;
    - try with sql server name - same results;
    - try with sql server IP - same results;
    - connect from computer X with sql user using sqlcmd (from cmd) - OK

I can't understand why is working from sqlcmd and from SSMS sends error (login failed). SQLCMD uses something else (port, protocol, DNS, etc...)?

Thank you!

Please post as a new thread. This one is very old and you're likely to get more help with a new post. In addition, please post the error log from SQL Server during the time of the failed login and the error that computer X is seeing.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Are u able to connect using the local SSMS with other users ? If not then clearly the issue is with the client tools on this machine.

• Arsh - Wednesday, August 16, 2017 9:04 AM

Are u able to connect using the local SSMS with other users ? If not then clearly the issue is with the client tools on this machine.

The user has already reposted here: https://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/1892052/Login-failed-for-user-has-occurred-in-SSMS

Try to keep the answers to one thread, as it means that others can see what have already been suggested and add to the topic more easily without repeating ideas. 🙂

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply