Looking to get 70-432 Certified need suggestions...

• Koen Verbeeck (1/5/2012)

SQLRNNR (1/4/2012)

Koen Verbeeck (1/4/2012)

For such a course, that money is OK. IBM and SAP are charging insanely amounts of money for introductory courses.

edit: I looked it up. $2000 dollars for an introductory on Cognos dimensional report authoring. I course I wanted to follow some time ago. Not as much as $3000, but the level isn't as high at all.

ICK - I can't believe you mentioned that crap here. They say the current versions are better than Cognos 7 but I doubt it.

A former client of mine used it, ergo, I used it too.

Cognos is not as much WYSIWYG as Reporting Services, but the metadata model (the cognos framework) is better than the one used in earlier versions of Report Builder (the report model). Ad-hoc analysis by non-tech savvy users is a bit easier in Cognos. But it is not a magnificent product, especially getting the layout right in reports can be a bit frustrating.

Agreed on the ad-hoc for non-tech types. But it was the cause of several outages because it does not create very good sql to query against the database.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• SQLRNNR (1/5/2012)

Koen Verbeeck (1/5/2012)

SQLRNNR (1/4/2012)

Koen Verbeeck (1/4/2012)

For such a course, that money is OK. IBM and SAP are charging insanely amounts of money for introductory courses.

edit: I looked it up. $2000 dollars for an introductory on Cognos dimensional report authoring. I course I wanted to follow some time ago. Not as much as $3000, but the level isn't as high at all.

ICK - I can't believe you mentioned that crap here. They say the current versions are better than Cognos 7 but I doubt it.

Cognos is not as much WYSIWYG as Reporting Services, but the metadata model (the cognos framework) is better than the one used in earlier versions of Report Builder (the report model). Ad-hoc analysis by non-tech savvy users is a bit easier in Cognos. But it is not a magnificent product, especially getting the layout right in reports can be a bit frustrating.

Agreed on the ad-hoc for non-tech types. But it was the cause of several outages because it does not create very good sql to query against the database.

I guess you haven't taken a look at the MDX yet. That is even worse.

A colleague of mine developed a Cognos report that had a prompt page with all report parameters, which needed to be selected before the actual report was ran. The prompt page took about 2 to 3 minutes to load. To load a dozen of parameters? Oink... (the funny part is that the expensive IBM consultant also didn't know why it was so slow)

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Koen Verbeeck (1/5/2012)

SQLRNNR (1/5/2012)

Koen Verbeeck (1/5/2012)

SQLRNNR (1/4/2012)

Koen Verbeeck (1/4/2012)

I guess you haven't taken a look at the MDX yet. That is even worse.

A colleague of mine developed a Cognos report that had a prompt page with all report parameters, which needed to be selected before the actual report was ran. The prompt page took about 2 to 3 minutes to load. To load a dozen of parameters? Oink... (the funny part is that the expensive IBM consultant also didn't know why it was so slow)

We experienced the same sort of puzzlement from the Cognos "expert" I took a look at the generated queries and wanted to rewrite them all manually. We had a cognos report fill the t-log volume 100GB in a matter of minutes.

At least with SSRS, I can write the queries used by the tool.

Learn Extended Events

• Well, you can do that in Cognos too. You can have a SQL source for your report data where you supply the SQL query yourself.

But it is not really straight forward.

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• well I think you are going the right way because I have referred some of the video tutorial of trainsignal and found them very interesting as they have good explanation of technical terms and concepts. They cover all the topics in a very professional manner.

video tutorials are always a great option to start learning because you can actually see them performing on the videos.

But make sure you keep practicing everyday topics.

Best Luck.

resume writing[/url] | examples of resumes[/url]

• Hi, I just passed that 2 weeks ago, believe me you don't need to do any effort if you have basic knowledge and hands on experience with sql server, it was easy and every answer has to make sense.

just I missed some questions about the replication, push VS pull an such DR techniques.

the one thing that bothered me that MS hiked the fees to $150 and no second chance vouchers anymore !!

• JasonYousef (1/19/2012)

the one thing that bothered me that MS hiked the fees to $150 and no second chance vouchers anymore !!

I don't much like that either - the fee hike.

Learn Extended Events

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply