Managemanet Studio Package

• I installed SQL Server 2005 a few weeks ago. Everything seemed to be working fine (or so I think). I was able to connect to my database and query it using the SQL Server Management Studio. I was also able to access it from my ASP.NET application.

Yesterday, I installed VS 2005 Beta 2. After that, when I start my management studio, I get "Package 'Microsoft SQL Management Studio Package' failed to load."

What is going on?

• Is it the Express Edition?

If it is the case, you can download (free) the SQL Express Manager, but the SQL Server Management Studio is not deliver with this edition.

Best regards,

Carl

• I have the developers edition. If I just want to install the Management Studio (which can handle my SS 2000 instances) and not the whole SS 2005, what do I do?

• From what I learned there is only four edition of SQL Server 2005:

Enterprise, Standard, Workgroup and Express.

The Express edition is the Edition that replace MSDE 2000.

Best regards,

Carl

• The Developers edition came with my MSDN universal subscription.

• You are rigth:

From BOL (different from my last SQL Server 2005 crash course)

"SQL Server 2005 Beta 2 is available in 32-Bit Developer Edition and SQL Express Edition, and 64-Bit Developer Edition."

Maybe it is the same restriction with the developper Edition but I don't know.

Maybe someone else could help here?

Carl

• PLS make sure the .net framework 's version.

the vs.net's should be the same as sql server 2005 's

• SQL Server 2005 Beta 2 is not compatible with Visual Studio 2005 Beta 2. You should download and install the April CTP of SQL Server 2005 from MSDN Subscription or Betaplace.

Make sure you first completely uninstall SQL Server Beta 2 (instructions are in the document CTPNotes.mht), and I would probably uninstall VS2005 Beta 2 as well just to be sure. When April CTP is installed you can install VS2005 Beta 2 again.

• Hm, just noted you did not say you were using SQL Server 2005 Beta 2. However you do say that you installed it 'a couple of weeks ago', so I am at least assuming it is not April CTP (maybe February CTP?). In any case you should be running April CTP with VS2005 Beta 2.

• You are right. I don't have the April CTP loaded. I went back to SS 2000 because it (SS 2005) was giving a lot of problems. However, I don't mind just loading the SQL Management Studio. If it is possible, how will I do it? Can I have the SQL Management Studio and EM/QA both existing on the same machine?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply