Migrating to a new server

• I am interested in all tried and true methods for migrating SQL server 2000 to a new server.  Every 4 years our lease on our servers runs out and we are forced to migrate to a new box.

Thanks,

Jeff 

jcollins

• I tend to go with the plain old backup and restore method myself.

If downtime is a problem then you can always do a full backup followed by a differential the night before the move and then transaction log backups during the day.  That way you get the full backup and possibly the differential one restored up front leaving a much smaller set of restores after.

Then again, if downtime isn't too much of an issue then detach and re-attach are also workable solutions.

Wow, I got in a post before Remi (he must have gone for a coffee or something )

• Mike,

With the detach and re-attach method how would you handle system databases master, temp, msdb and model. Also, how do you recommend transferring DTS packages as well as scheduled jobs.

Thanks,

Jeff

jcollins

• Hi Jeff,

Chris Hedgate has a good article on moving system databases.

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/chedgate/movingsystemdatabasesachecklist.asp

The DTS packages are held in the MSDB database so moving that will also move the DTS's at the same time.

Hope this helps

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply