MSMQ causing an issue

• We have a test box with MSMQ turned on.  One of our developers built a DTS package using message query task.  Now when trying to migrate that DTS package to production, onto a server without MSMQ on, we have run into several different errors.

I found & installed the MSMQ client under services for the production server.  That stopped the "cannot find MSMQ client" errors.  However now we are getting "cannot open MSMQ" errors, leading me to think it is permissions.

The message queue is pointed to the testbox.  The SQL Agent user has local admin permissions on the box.  That user can see the message queue sub-directories under services & applications, however I cannot "run" to that drive as that user.

Any ideas and help???  Thanks!
  • If you have message queue configured to run over the network, you are likely actually sending data from the SQL Server Box to the testbox via the PDC.  So you need to have domain rights, not local rights to do this, I think.

If this concerns you, you could install the service that consumes the queue on the same machine that writes to it.  It would be a private queue, and you would only need local rights to do this.

Or you can send the data over to the testbox using an asynchronous web service to get similar results (that can be configured to be secure)....

Jon

• Thanks.

I cannot tell how message queue is configured to run.  The DTS package's message query task points to the established private queue on the testbox, but that is the same box where it is executed in test and does succeed.  

From what you are saying, I need to establish a means to have the two boxes directly talk, which I don't currently have.  That is not something built in message queue itself?

• If you want to send a message to MSMQ from one machine to another, you need to install MSMQ on three servers.

On the Primary Domain Controller (PDC) you need to install MSMQ, as well as MSMQ components on the 'sending server' as well as the 'receiving server'.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply