Please suggest one best book for learning total concepts of SQL DBA...

• Hello,

Please suggest me one best book for learning total concepts of sql server administration.

Thank you,

sri.

• jr.sqldba (6/28/2012)

Hello,

Please suggest me one best book for learning total concepts of sql server administration.

Thank you,

sri.

There are probably hundreds of books out there for this. You've just got to find one that works for you.

I started with Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Step by Step by Mike Hotek. It does a pretty good job at starting from scratch and getting you exposure/experience with everything from installing MSSQL Server to some business intelligence stuff.

Link to the book on Amazon

The cool think about Amazon is that you can preview the books and get a pretty good idea of what they will talk about and what you can learn. I'd start looking around there.

Twitter: @SQL_JGood
    Blog: sqljgood.wordpress.com/[/url]

• Another book I recommend is SQL Server 2008 Administration in Action by Rod Colledge. It has a lot of practical techniques, best practices, and even a recommended work flow. It goes beyond learning the material and actually puts it into practice.

Link to Amazon

Twitter: @SQL_JGood
    Blog: sqljgood.wordpress.com/[/url]

• I started with the course book from Microsoft for 70-432 but can't say I was overly impressed with it. Tom Carpenter's book 'SQL Server 2008 Administration: Real-World Skills for MCITP Certification and Beyond' is quite good. I refer a lot to 'Professional SQL Server 2008 Internals and Troubleshooting' from Wrox Publishing. I also bought both volumes of SQL Server MVP Deep Dives (I and II) and found a lot of interesting stuff in there, too. There's a few other books I have too which are useful to me but perhaps not to others - 'Architecting Applications for Enterprise' from Microsoft for example, which has a great deal of useful information about unit design, testing and deployment that is applicable to SQL Server development.

Hopefully you understand the basics of relational databases and set theory. Once you understand these, you'll have a solid foundation for learning about SQL Server.

---

Note to developers:
    CAST(SUBSTRING(CAST(FLOOR(NULLIF(ISNULL(COALESCE(1,NULL),NULL),NULL)) AS CHAR(1)),1,1) AS INT) == 1
    So why complicate your code AND MAKE MY JOB HARDER??!:crazy:

Want to get the best help? Click here https://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/forum-etiquette-how-to-post-datacode-on-a-forum-to-get-the-best-help (Jeff Moden)
    My blog: http://uksqldba.blogspot.com
    Visit http://www.DerekColley.co.uk to find out more about me.

• J Good (6/28/2012)

Another book I recommend is SQL Server 2008 Administration in Action by Rod Colledge. It has a lot of practical techniques, best practices, and even a recommended work flow. It goes beyond learning the material and actually puts it into practice.

Link to Amazon

+1 for this book. It's a little much for a pure beginner IMO but very good nonetheless.

Mark

• jr.sqldba (6/28/2012)

Hello,

Thank you,

sri.

What kind of "DBA" do you want to be? System DBA, Application DBA, Hybrid DBA?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply