Point in time Restore

• I have a SQLServer 2005 database. I want to restore from the backup to 2 days back point in time. I am using the Microsoft SQLServer Managment Studio. After I pick the file and specify the time I keep getting the error:

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlError: RESTORE cannot process database 'DBNAME' because it is in use by this session. It is recommended that the master database be used when performing this operation. (Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo)

I did a server reboot to clear off any hanging session.Stil I am getting the message. Please suggest.

Thanks

• Is the database you're trying to restore the default database of the login you're using? If so, try changing your default database to another (master is a good one; that's probably why the message suggests it) or try doing the restore using TSQL with 'USE MASTER'.

Greg

Greg

• As a preparation for when the time comes to actually do this in a real live scenario, you may also do it without clicking away in Management Studio, but in straight T-SQL instead.

If nothing else, it's good practice and a good way to learn what the studio is doing behind the scenes.

/Kenneth

• You cant apply Tlog backup when the db is in online.

1.) Restore the last full backup with norecovery

2.) Restore Tlog backup with recovery and specify the point-in-time.

Refer the below link

How to: Restore to a Point in Time (Transact-SQL)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply