Prep for large increase in usage

• Hold it people I just had a thought (can't believe I'm so pathetic to think of such things on a Sunday morning LOL!)...

As the purpose of the replay will be stress-testing just as much as analysis (I need to make the replay server collapse and THEN do a post-mortem) am I right to suspect the trace definition will have to capture everything, ie ALL Events/Columns? Normally for pure analysis I'd strip it down to just RPC Completed/SQL Batch Completed, and columns Text/CPU/Reads/Writes/Duration/SPid/StartTime?

• RPC Completed and SQL Batch Completed should be enough. The columns you listed sound good too.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• No, you don't need everything, however replay requires a very specific set of events and columns. Use the T-SQL Replay template and don't change anything after

eg you need the established connections event.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (8/9/2015)

No, you don't need everything, however replay requires a very specific set of events and columns. Use the T-SQL Replay template and don't change anything after

eg you need the established connections event.

I took a look - that is a big template, but yes, will do.

Another possible 'gotcha that's been raised is that much of the server workload uses GUIDs that are dynamically generated during a session - in your experience, if I synch the test database to it's prod equivalent immediately before running the trace, would that suffice, or is there any other measures I need to take?

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply