problem with function

• I have a function like this:

-- determine if there is already a page with sequence one, i.e. whether the pages need to be shifted

DECLARE @oneCount int

SELECT @oneCount = COUNT(pageID) FROM pageList WHERE folderID = @foundFolderID AND pageSequence = 1

IF @oneCount > 0

BEGIN

-- resequence the pages in the folder by adding one to all of them

UPDATE pageList SET pageSequence = pageSequence + 1 WHERE folderID = @foundFolderID

-- move the page into the found folder and give it a sequence of 1

UPDATE pageList SET folderID = @foundFolderID, pageSequence = 1 WHERE pageID = @pageID

END

For some reason, it is ALWAYS executing the UPDATE commands even though @oneCount is not always > 0. I have double-checked the @oneCount to verify that it's either 0 or greater than 0. However, the 2 UPDATEs run regardless.

Do I have my IF statement setup wrong?

Thanks!

• Looks OK. I can't see a logic problem.

The count is not necessary and it's expensive, doubly so since you're doing a count of the column, not count(*)

Try changing the count to an exists.

IF EXISTS (SELECT 1 FROM pageList WHERE folderID = @foundFolderID AND pageSequence = 1)

BEGIN

UPDATE pageList SET pageSequence = pageSequence + 1 WHERE folderID = @foundFolderID

UPDATE pageList SET folderID = @foundFolderID, pageSequence = 1 WHERE pageID = @pageID

END

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Thanks...I replaced my count with the exists statement, while working, it still runs the 2 UPDATE statements regardless of the results of the EXIST statement.

I even checked manually in query analyzer like this:

IF EXISTS(SELECT 1 FROM pageList WHERE folderID = 1999677137 AND pageSequence = 1)

BEGIN

PRINT 'hi'

END

And that statement is working. Sometimes it will print 'hi' when it exists, other times it won't if it doesn't exist.

However, in the stored procedure, it ALWAYS runs the 2 UPDATES.

Thank you!

• Exists doesn't return false results.

Are you sure that the variables are such that rows may not exist? Maybe put a statement just above that to insert the rows that the exiosts checks into a table for debugging purposes. Or put print statements to check the variables.

Can you maybe post the entire procedure?

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• It's kind of long, but here it goes:

/**

* Shifts a page up within the folder that contains it by changing its pageSequence value.

* @param pageID the ID of the page that should be moved down.

* @param userID the ID of the user that is executing the move.

*/

CREATE PROCEDURE [dbo].[testsp_ShiftPageDown]

@pageID int,

@userid int

AS

/* The algorithm for shifting a page down is as follows:

IF (the page is being moved within the folder in which it already resides, i.e. there is one or more page below it in the same folder) THEN

swap pagesequences with the page immediately below it

ELSE IF (the page is being moved outside of a folder, i.e. there are no pages below it in the same folder) THEN

look for the next folder down in the module that the current user has editing access to

IF (no such folder exists) THEN abort the shift

find the minimum pagesequence in the found folder

IF (the folder contains no pages) THEN consider the maximum sequence to be 0

at the same time: [change the folderID of the page to the found folder;

change the pageSequence of the page to 1;

shift other pages in the folder up]

END IF

*/

SET NOCOUNT ON

DECLARE @currentFolderID int -- the folder that contains the page to be moved

DECLARE @currentSequence int -- the sequence of the page to be moved

SELECT @currentFolderID = folderID, @currentSequence = pageSequence FROM pageList WHERE pageID = @pageID

-- determine if the page to be moved is the last page in the current folder

DECLARE @countBelow int -- the number of pages in this folder whose sequence is greater than the current page

SELECT @countBelow = COUNT(@pageID) FROM pageList WHERE folderID = @currentFolderID AND pageSequence > @currentSequence

IF @countBelow > 0

BEGIN

-- page will be moved WITHIN the current folder

-- get the page with the next pagesequence and swap sequences with it

DECLARE @swapPageID int

DECLARE @swapPageSequence int

DECLARE @placeholderSequence int --placeholder for use in swapping

SELECT @swapPageID = pageID, @swapPageSequence = pageSequence

FROM pageList

WHERE folderID = @currentFolderID AND pageSequence IN (SELECT MIN(pageSequence) FROM pageList WHERE folderID = @currentFolderID AND pageSequence > @currentSequence)

BEGIN TRAN

SET @placeholderSequence = @currentSequence

UPDATE pageList SET pageSequence = @swapPageSequence WHERE pageID = @pageID

UPDATE pageList SET pageSequence = @placeholderSequence WHERE pageID = @swapPageID

COMMIT TRAN

END

ELSE

BEGIN

-- page will be moved to next accessible folder above

DECLARE @currentModuleID int

DECLARE @currentFolderSequence int

DECLARE @loopFolderID int -- holds folderid during looping

DECLARE @foundFolderID int -- holds the "found" folder, if any, or -1 if none found

-- find the nearest accessible folder to this one

SELECT @currentModuleID = moduleID, @currentFolderSequence = folderSequence FROM folderList WHERE folderID = @currentFolderID

SET @foundFolderID = -1

DECLARE cFolders CURSOR FORWARD_ONLY READ_ONLY

FOR SELECT folderID FROM folderList WHERE moduleID = @currentModuleID AND folderSequence > @currentFolderSequence ORDER BY folderSequence ASC

OPEN cFolders

FETCH NEXT FROM cFolders INTO @loopFolderID

WHILE @@FETCH_STATUS = 0

BEGIN

IF dbo.fn_canEditFolder(@loopFolderID, @userid) = 1

BEGIN

SET @foundFolderID = @loopFolderID

BREAK -- found it

END

FETCH NEXT FROM cFolders INTO @loopFolderID

END

CLOSE cFolders

DEALLOCATE cFolders

-- at this point, if @foundFolderID is -1, then we never found an accessible folder above this one. if it is populated, then move the page into that folder

IF @foundFolderID = -1 RETURN

-- determine if there is already a page with sequence one, i.e. whether the pages need to be shifted

IF EXISTS(SELECT 1 FROM pageList WHERE folderID = @foundFolderId AND pageSequence = 1)

BEGIN

END

END

GO

Thanks!

• Try putting a check just before the exists, run the proc from management studio and see what you get back.

SELECT @foundFolderId

SELECT * FROM pageList WHERE folderID = @foundFolderId AND pageSequence = 1

Gail Shaw

• I added that to the SP and it prints the folderId and the results from the query.

Thank you

• It prints results on each execution? Means that the exists is correct, there are always rows.

Gail Shaw

• Well, if a page sequence of one does exist, then it prints the results and executes the 2 UPDATEs. If I manipulate the web app such that there is no page with a page sequence of 1, then those results don't print...however the 2 UPDATEs are still executed.

I am not sure why the 2 UPDATES continue to be executed....

thank you

• Stick a print or select inside the IF block, see if that prints out, or if the update is coming from somewhere else.

You can also trace the exact steps that the proc runs using profiler and the sp_stmtcompleted events.

Gail Shaw

• Im sorry...I'm using SQL Server 2000...what is sp_stmtcompleted?

Thanks!

• Are you running this through ASP?

Seth Phelabaum

Consistency is only a virtue if you're not a screwup. 😉

Links: How to Post Sample Data[/url] :: Running Totals[/url] :: Tally Table[/url] :: Cross Tabs/Pivots[/url] :: String Concatenation[/url]

• Magy (11/25/2008)

Im sorry...I'm using SQL Server 2000...what is sp_stmtcompleted?

It's a profiler event. Under the Stored Procedures group. It traces each statement within a proc. It can get intensive so make sure to filter to your username or your pc's name.

Gail Shaw

• Yes, the stored proc is being run via an ASP website.

Thank you!

• Gail, I'm in SQL profiler, and I ran it while executing the stored proc. Is there anything I should be looking for besides stmtCompleted? I see a bunch of queries, but I am not sure how to debug using this.

Thanks!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply