Protocols for (instance) flags tab is blank!

• Hello everyone,

I've been a subscriber of the SQL Server Central newsletters for years, but this is my first post to this forum. I'm stuck on this one and Google is less than helpful. My sincere apologies if this is in the wrong forum.

I have been given the awesome task of providing information via ODBC to an outside organization. We are running SQL Server 2k5 on Windows Server 2k3. We decided that rather than give the external user access to the main database server that we should set up another instance (call it "Instance2") of SQL 2k5 and copy only the necessary data to a database on the new instance, then give the external organization access to the new instance. This gives us the added flexibility of being able to encrypt the data going over the wire, as well, without taking a performance hit on our main SQL server.

I successfully set up the new instance on SQL1, but our network admin decided that the load was high on SQL1 and since we have another server, SQL2 that is underutilized we should put the new DB over there. I have the new Instance2 installed on SQL2, however, I have hit a snag that has me completely confused. On SQL1, under SQL Server 2005 Network Configuration->Protocols for Instance2->Properties, on the Flags tab, I have two flag names and two values: ForceEncryption is set to "Yes" and "Hide Instance" is set to "No." On SQL2, at the same point, I have two values for the flags, but the flag names are blank! Since the flag names are blank, I cannot get encryption to work. The data must be encrypted to go over the wire, we don't have a choice in this matter. How do I get the flag names back into this tab?

Jerome Grimmer

Illinois workNet

• OK, this is really weird, but I'll go with it. I decided that since there were only two options on the blank flags tab, I'd just set them one at a time to "Yes" and use Microsoft Network Monitor to look at the packets to see if they were indeed encrypted. Then I'd turn them back off and use Microsoft Network Monitor to look at the packets to see if they were no longer encrypted. Well, as it turns out, one of the blank options did indeed turn on encryption of the queries and data being sent and received from Instance2 on SQL2, so I have achieved my goal of having an encrypted connection.

I hope this little piece of trial and success that I've had helps someone else in the future.

Jerome Grimmer

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply