QOD 01/10/2003

• Surely if any one of the first 4 statements is incorrect then "All the above are correct" is also incorrect, which would make two options not true. :-S

Ignoring that a nice easy 2 points...

Keith Henry

DBA/Developer/BI Manager

Keith Henry

According to everyone I know I "do something with computers?" for a living, so there you go.

• I agree, having hit the same dilemma regarding the answer.

All of the above are correct is not true since one of the answers is wrong....

• Caught me out too. I realised no. 3 was wrong but I went for no. 5 cause if any of the first four are incorrect, no. 5 has to be incorrect!

• I did similar. I marked the "primary key" nonsense, and then marked the logical nonsense.

Must say I truely enjoy this QOD and realize that writing sound questions is a challange.

• Strange how the answer is contradicted by the body of the explanation.

The answer is "...makes excellent choices for Primary Keys.." and the body says "...This property makes a timestamp column a poor candidate for keys, especially primary keys." Isn't that a tautology?

• The logic of it all caught me too. #5 was a guaranteed right answer.

• I totally agree that the correct answer was "All of the above". The timestamp (rowversion) columns are totally unique, which makes the Primary Key answer partially correct, even though they make poor keys because they change when a row is updated, thereby invalidating any foreign keys that relate back to them. "All of the above" answers should receive a 2-point credit.

Dave Leach

Dave Leach

• It wasn't that confusing. It was still obvious what the answer was. The QOD tends not to be "English Logic Tricks" but SQL tests. Maybe I'd have answers 5 (wrong in this case) had I been taking an IQ test, but since this is SQL land the correct answer was obvious.

Keith Henry

DBA/Developer/BI Manager

Keith Henry

According to everyone I know I "do something with computers?" for a living, so there you go.

• Well no. 2 is definitly false. I just tested it.

• quote:

Strange how the answer is contradicted by the body of the explanation.

The answer is "...makes excellent choices for Primary Keys.." and the body says "...This property makes a timestamp column a poor candidate for keys, especially primary keys." Isn't that a tautology?

Remember, the question is 'Which of the following is NOT true'.

• There must be something wrong with the language English.

My mothertongue is not English, but I never had problems understanding the questions and, if I know it, finding the right answer.

What is it with you English speaking persons that you seem to have a problem understanding your own language?

• quote:

What is it with you English speaking persons that you seem to have a problem understanding your own language?

It's because English is just more rich, deep, subtle and expressive than any other language. I understand that all you non-English speakers (and that includes Americans with their illiterate ruler) will have problems understanding it, but do keep trying

Keith Henry

DBA/Developer/BI Manager

Keith Henry

• Forgive me for being naive. I answered the question wrong and understand what it can't be used for. That still doesn't tell me of what use the timestamp is. If the need is to generate a unique value in a table, that can be done other ways.

Would somebody please enlighten me with an example that they've used in a production environment.

Thanks.

> Nick Duckstein

> Nick Duckstein

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply