Query to return sample from each column of the DB

• Hi all,

I need to write a query that, for a given DB, will show:

- all the tables

- every column for these tables

- the data type

- and 3 examples of every column, the examples should be the first elements of the column when the table is sorted by its Primary Key

So far, I made a query that does the first 3:

select TABLE_NAME , COLUMN_NAME, DATA_TYPE, NUMERIC_PRECISION

from INFORMATION_SCHEMA.COLUMNS

the last one seems really hard, can you please help?

Thank you,

Kol

• you could try something along these lines

EXEC sp_MSForEachTable 'SELECT top 3 * FROM ?'

sp_MSForEachTable is undocumented...suggest you do some research.

• TOP doesn't guarantee ORDER BY. You should explicitly specify ORDER BY where possible and you can limit the result set like this:

ORDER BY yourCol ASC

OFFSET 0 ROWS

FETCH NEXT 3 ROWS ONLY;

If you don't know the value of yourCol or you want to get it programmatically, you can either feed it in using a query that selects the columns that have PK constraints (loop it in a cursor, maybe) or you could use ORDER BY 1 if you are certain the PK col is always the 1st col returned.

---

Note to developers:
    CAST(SUBSTRING(CAST(FLOOR(NULLIF(ISNULL(COALESCE(1,NULL),NULL),NULL)) AS CHAR(1)),1,1) AS INT) == 1
    So why complicate your code AND MAKE MY JOB HARDER??!:crazy:

Want to get the best help? Click here https://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/forum-etiquette-how-to-post-datacode-on-a-forum-to-get-the-best-help (Jeff Moden)
    My blog: http://uksqldba.blogspot.com
    Visit http://www.DerekColley.co.uk to find out more about me.

• derek.colley (7/9/2012)

TOP doesn't guarantee ORDER BY. You should explicitly specify ORDER BY where possible and you can limit the result set like this:

ORDER BY yourCol ASC

OFFSET 0 ROWS

FETCH NEXT 3 ROWS ONLY;

That won't work on SQL 2008.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • The problem I am facing is that I cannot use the output of the first query I am running :

select TABLE_NAME , COLUMN_NAME, DATA_TYPE, NUMERIC_PRECISION

from INFORMATION_SCHEMA.COLUMNS

in a second query, I want to use the COLUMN_NAME and TABLE_NAME values to build a new query that does the following:

select COLUMN_NAME from TABLE_NAME (of course this won't work)

I tried creating a cursor with the first query and then going through it and building a new dynamic SQL query but it's a mess and doesn't work 🙁

DECLARE @table VARCHAR(50), @column VARCHAR(50), @type VARCHAR(50), @precision VARCHAR(50), @pk VARCHAR(50)

DECLARE result CURSOR FOR

select I.TABLE_NAME , I.COLUMN_NAME, I.DATA_TYPE, I.NUMERIC_PRECISION, C.CONSTRAINT_NAME

from INFORMATION_SCHEMA.COLUMNS as I, INFORMATION_SCHEMA.CONSTRAINT_COLUMN_USAGE as C

where C.CONSTRAINT_NAME like 'PK_%' and I.TABLE_NAME = C.TABLE_NAME

OPEN result

FETCH result INTO @table, @column, @type, @precision, @pk

WHILE @@FETCH_STATUS = 0

BEGIN

EXECUTE ('SELECT ' + @column + ' FROM ' +@table)

FETCH result INTO @table, @column, @type, @precision, @pk

End

CLOSE result

DEALLOCATE result

any advice please ?

• Define 'doesn't work'?

Dynamic SQL is about the only way you're going to do this without writing hundreds of SQL statements.

Curious, why information schema and not the catalog views (sys.tables, sys.columns, etc)?

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• It didn't provide any results for the dynamically built query, but it was because I didn't specify the schema, once corrected, the query ran fine.

Still I am having an issue with retrieving the "3 first values of a column when the table is sorted by its primary key (when this key exists, given it is a simple key)".

I managed to get the first one, is there a way to get the "second" and "third" values when a table is sorted ?

Thank you all in advance

• Post your code.

Typically you'd use TOP (3), but I'm not sure what you're doing,so...

Gail Shaw

• Thank you, I found it, to share it with people, here is the trick

http://blog.sqlauthority.com/2008/04/02/sql-server-find-nth-highest-salary-of-employee-query-to-retrieve-the-nth-maximum-value/

Thank you all again 🙂

• If all you're trying to do is find the top 3 by the pk, that method is not what you want to use, it's overkill. It's for when you want the 3rd and only the 3rd, not the top 3.

Gail Shaw

• I dynamically built 3 different queries, one for the first, one for the second and one for the third and it worked fine

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply