Question About Database Mirroring

• Just do check, do you have the .Net framword 2.0 installed on that server? Did you install Service Pack 1 for SQL Server Express?

My blog: SQL Soldier[/url]
    SQL Server Best Practices:
    SQL Server Best Practices
    Twitter: @SQLSoldier
    My book: Pro SQL Server 2008 Mirroring[/url]
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, Data Platform MVP
    Database Engineer at BlueMountain Capital Management[/url]

• Yes, I am running .NET 2.0 framework.  I also installed Service Pack 1 for SQL Server Express 2005.  Besides I think you absoluetly need .Net 2.0 to install SQL Server.  Can you or anyone else think what could be the issue with having SQL Server Express as a witness. 

Thank you everyone.

-Thanas

• i played with mirroring and got it to work with separate principal, mirror and witness servers all running SQL 2005 Enterprise

• I can get it to work with Enterprise as well, but we do not want to pay for another license just to have it be a mirror.  Just not econmical do you know what I mean?

-Thanas

• In getting database mirroring to work, I found the documentation to be lacking an important detail.  If you do not have DNS or a Domain controller, then you must have a "hosts" file on each server (principal, mirror, and witness) listing all three servers.  It doesn't matter whether you use ip address or domains names in the statements, but in BOTH cases, a lookup and/or reverse lookup is used.  For automatic failover to work, you also need the hosts file on each client.  Adding a hosts file to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc directrory has solved many seemingly unrelated errors.

• ...and yes, you can use Express edition for the witness. 

• Did anyone ever resolve this????

I'm trying to set up a witness

2 installations of Sql 2005 std

1 sql express (witness)

All are sp2 9.0.3042 (so the issue described in KB article 930283 should not apply)

when I try to use the wizard to set up mirroring with a witness, following MS instructions I get

the alter database command could not be sent to the remot server instance 'tcp://****' The database mirroring configuration was not changed. Verify that the server is connected and try again. (Microsoft sQL server, error 1456)

This seems to be a common problem, but I don't seem to see much that actually is fixing it. Any help??? I need to get this setup running.

-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers --

• Jay, can you provide a little more information?

Are you using 3 separate servers or are any of the instances shared? If shared, are the shared instances using different ports for mirroring on each instance?

Can you provide the commands you issued for set up along with the order of events followed for setup?

Are you using Windows Authentication? Are all SQL Server services running with a domain account that has access to the other SQL Servers?

• The instances are on three separate machines. All can see one another, and I can open all three instances from server managment studio.

the primary database is loaded, the mirror is loaded with no recovery. I can successfully mirror them without a witness, the problem occurs when I try to mirror with a witness

I am using th wizard: tasks\mirroriing\'configure security'

I select the three components using the wizard (primary, mirror, witness)

This is the summary

On the principal server instance, na-flo-sql-01

Modify the following properties of the mirroring endpoint:

Name: Mirroring

Listener Port: 5022

Encryption: Yes

Role: Partner

On the mirror server instance, NA-FLO-SQL-02

Role: Partner

On the witness server instance, NA-FLO-DPX-01\SQLEXPRESS

Role: Witness

after a while the Database Mirroring Security wizard reports as follows:

Configuring Endpoints

- Configuring endpoint on principal server(na-flo-sql-01) (Success)

- Configuring endpoint on mirror server(NA-FLO-SQL-02) (Success)

- Configuring endpoint on witness server(NA-FLO-DPX-01\SQLEXPRESS) (Success)

But after all that reported success, when I click 'start mirroring' I get the error discribed in my first post.

• Sounds like it isn't able to get the IP address for the server. Check out this KB article: http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?kbid=940254

• Robert Davis (10/3/2008)

Sounds like it isn't able to get the IP address for the server. Check out this KB article: http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?kbid=940254

that KB refers to installations NOT using DNS/DHCP. We are using it.

• Could it be an SPN related problem?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321044

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply