Replicating LARGE database over WAN

• Thanks SQLGuru.

I have a question about mirroring. Would my log backups that truncate the logs interfere or fail the mirroring?

• shahgols (3/27/2008)

Thanks SQLGuru.

I have a question about mirroring. Would my log backups that truncate the logs interfere or fail the mirroring?

If you mean truncate as in BACKUP LOG mydb WITH TRUNCATE_ONLY or some such then yes, that will break lots of ancillary functions that rely on the log, including mirroring. 🙂

Best,
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012
    TheSQLGuru on googles mail service

• My apologies, I misspoke. My log backup removes the committed transactions after it backs them up. Will that interfere with mirroring.

• Michael Valentine Jones (3/26/2008)

The data transfer rate of a FedEx package is very high.

You just made my day! What a great line.

Tom Garth
    Vertical Solutions[/url]

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -- Will Rogers
  • Hey, I am also trying to do the same, to do transactional replication over WAN and my database size is 40 GB.

Here what I did is just backed up (http://www.exforsys.com/tutorials/sql-server-2005/sql-server-database-backup.html) the database and it was just 4 GB of size on backup and again I zipped it with RAR which again compressed the backup .bak file to 2 GB and I downloaded the database and restored on my remote site which again extracted the backup to 40 GB.

But I am also really not expert at that level, I managed to create publication on Distribution end, and also created VPN between 2 sites with 1 Mbps of bandwidth. When I try to create the subscription I can see the Publication from the Distributer Server, but dont know how I can have replicated only that data which is most recent and not in database when I backed it up.

I am really stucked here and need experts help.

Regards, Sujeet

• Replication is a VERY complex topic. I highly recommend you get a professional to help you out sujeet. There are MANY ways you can go astray here.

Best,
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012
    TheSQLGuru on googles mail service

• Minor question:

If you have a week to get your DR site up, how much data are you allowed to lose? 10 minutes? An hour? A day? A week?

How much you're willing to lose, what scope of disaster you're required to handle and your budget will determine your options.

If you're willing to lose a week's data, you must prepare for a very fast, low warning catastrophic event (major flash flood, massive earthquake, Great Chicago fire, nuclear weapon, etc.), and you have a low budget then mailing/couriering an encrypted full backup once a week is almost certainly your best bet.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply