RESTORE causes object owner to qualify SELECT's ??

• Hi everyone - virgin poster - please be gentle!

I have restored a DB to a new server, sp_change_user_login is showing 0 orphans, however, when I log in as my main development user, who owns all objects in the database (except system dbo stuff), I have found that if I SELECT * from table_name, it fails to work - returning 'Invalid object name'. If I SELECT * from owner.table_name, then the valid dataset is returned. This is causing major aggro because DTS, SP's all dont qualify the objects, as previously (old server) they didnt have to. Huge rewrite if I cant figure this out - please help if you can.

many thanks

• When you run sp_helpuser in the database you restored, does it show associated login name for the user name?

• My GUESS is that the login that owns the object is no longer the owner of the database. Being that it is no longer the owner of the DB, the default owner is now something different forcing you to qualify your objects in your select.

I have not tested this so, it is just a theory / guess.

David

David

@SQLTentmaker

“He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose” - Jim Elliot

• Hi

sp_helpuser returns:

username groupname loginname defaultDB

dbo db_owner sa master

sysdba db_datareader NULL NULL

warehouse db_owner warehouse PfizerDW_SI

the user I'm having problems with is Warehouse. This looks OK to me (but I'm no expert)logged on to DB as 'warehouse' and I have to qualify warehouse owned tables.

To prove they do belong o the correct owner, I've run:

SELECT

sysobjects.name AS [TABLE_NAME],

sysusers.name as

FROM

sysobjects INNER JOIN

sysusers ON sysobjects.uid = sysusers.uid

WHERE (sysusers.name = 'warehouse') AND (NOT (sysobjects.type = 'D'))

and the returned dataset lists all the tables that I would expect to be owned by 'warehouse'

any other tips?

thnx

• I would try to change the owner of the database using sp_changedbowner stored procedure.

EXEC sp_changedbowner 'username'

If this does not work, you can try to:

-script all objects in the database

-drop the user

-drop and recreate login

-recreate a user, make it a db owner

-recreate objects.

Hope this helps.

• I've already tried sp_changedbowner, but as the user warehouse already exists - i get 'The proposed new database owner is already a user in the database.'

I will try your proposed method - thankyou

• I have similar problems before, you could detach and attach that DB to fix the ownership by select warehouse as db owner from Enterprise Manager of SQL 2000.

quote:

I've already tried sp_changedbowner, but as the user warehouse already exists - i get 'The proposed new database owner is already a user in the database.'

I will try your proposed method - thankyou

• Guys

thanks for all the input - it turns out that it is an sp_change_users_login fixable problem, but its all about the order in which events take place. The problem is now fixed.

Drop DB

Drop offending login

stop database

start database

recreate login and give permission to pubs

recreate DB

give public and dbo permission to recreated login

restore DB

sp_change_users_login 'update_one', 'login', 'password'

and all is well !!

thnx again

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply