Retrieving the password for a linked server in SQL Server 2000

• Hi. I have forgotten the password for my linked server in SQL Server 2000, so I want to retrieve it to re-create the linked server in SQL Server 2005. Is it possible? How? Many thanks

• It's not possible to retrieve current password. You can only change it.

Can you log in with a different account and reset that password?

-- Gianluca Sartori

• Ok. I hope to retrieve the pwd. Fe, it is possible to retrieve logins and passwords to migrate logins from SQL Server 2000 to 2005. Thanks

• No, not possible.

• Is it not possible to retrieve the password encrypted? Thanks

• I think you can retrieve the encrypted password, but you won't do much with it.

If you want to migrate logins, follow the guidelines described here: http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;246133&x=15&y=18

-- Gianluca Sartori

• Hi. The goal is to migrate the entire linked server, thus also with the password.

I don't want to retrieve the pwd to know it but in order to migrate the linked server from SQL Server 2000 to 2005.

Thanks

• OK, so you should find the information you're looking for in the document I posted.

-- Gianluca Sartori

• I have a look to the article.

I want to migrate a linked server and the related password. A linked server can point to a different data source respect to SQL Server. My question isn't about to transfer logins in SQL Server from 2000 to 2005. I think that as it is possible to migrate a login as it is possible to migrate a linked server with the related password.

Thanks

• It was stated earlier that you can not recover a password only reset it, whether or not you migrate the logon from any SQL Server version.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply