Rollback Transaction on error

• In a stored procedure, between the transaction block, there is a possibility of encountering an error. Once the error is encountered the execution of the procedure is halted and the following error is thrown.

"Server: Msg 266, Level 16, State 1, Procedure spDeleteKCCategory, Line 28

Transaction count after EXECUTE indicates that a COMMIT or ROLLBACK TRANSACTION statement is missing. Previous count = 0, current count = 1."

Is there a way to Rollback transaction on error, something like exception handling in TSQL? Please advice.

Thanx in advace,

Vijay

• You should be checking for errors after any insert, update or deletes and responding to them within you proc (rolling back the transaction) and responding to the calling procedure or application.

You could be checking for error like this

SELECT @ErrorCode = @@ERROR;

then responding

IF @ErrorCode <> 0

BEGIN

RETURN -1

END

If you Return before you Commit then you have essentially rolled back.

Hope that helped.

-kel

K Leb

• I do this all the time. As kleb_writes said you want to check for errors after ANYTHING that might cause an error. As a note you also want to check for errors BEFORE creating them. IE: if you try to put a dup value in a primary key you want to raise the error before you even try. I usually use something like the following...

declarations and code go here...
    Update....
    SELECT @iErr = @@Error, @NumRows = @@ROWCOUNT
    IF @iErr != 0 GOTO ErrHandler
    SET @vMsg = CONVERT(varchar,GetDate()) + ':' + 'Updated ' + convert(varchar,@NumRows) + ' records in table foo'
    PRINT @vMsg

put more code here...
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ErrHandler:
    IF (@iErr != 0)
    BEGIN
    SET @vMsg = CONVERT(varchar,GetDate()) + ':' + 'Error.'
    ROLLBACK TRANSACTION
    PRINT @vMsg
    GOTO BAIL
    END
    ELSE
    BEGIN
    SET @vMsg = CONVERT(varchar,GetDate()) + ':' + 'Finished without errors.'
    PRINT @vMsg
    COMMIT TRANSACTION
    GOTO BAIL
    END
    BAIL:
    RETURN

Gary Johnson

Microsoft Natural Language Group

DBA, Sr. DB Engineer

Edited by - gljjr on 10/10/2003 5:34:51 PM

Gary Johnson
    Microsoft Natural Language Group
    DBA, Sr. DB Engineer

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. The opinions expressed in this post are my own and may not reflect that of my employer.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply