Running DTS as SQLAgentCmdExec

• I need to set up a DTS so that a developer can run it. The server is a Windows NT 4 server with SQL Server 7. The DTS is run every 6 hours by a job. I want him to run it by starting the job manually. When I change the ownership of the job to the developer it fails with this error:

DTSRun: Loading... Error: -2147008507 (80074005); Provider Error: 0 (0) Error string: Unspecified error Error source: Microsoft Data Transformation Services (DTS) Package Help file: sqldts.hlp Help context: 713 Error: -2147467259 (80004005); Provider Error: 2 (2) Error string: [DBNMPNTW]Access denied. Error source: Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server Help file: Help context: 0. Process Exit Code 1. The step failed.

If I make the local account SQLAgentCmdExec an local admin it works. I do not want to make SQLAgentCmdExec a local admin.

What are the minimum rights and permissions to enable the SQL Server 7 proxy account SQLAgentCmdExec to load and execute a DTS package?

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• Unfortunately you need System Admin rights to run cmdExec jobs. MS introduced this to block a security flaw allowing a back-door entry to databases.

HTH

Steve Vincent

• Well from the Error message it looks like the DTS package is executing. You'll probably find that its trying to access a file share or something that the developers login doesn't have access to.

Hope this helps

Phill Carter

--------------------

Colt 45 - the original point and click interface

--------------------
    Colt 45 - the original point and click interface

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply