Running DTS from Visual Basic

• hey

I have VB front end that calls DTS, it works fine (have to copy some DLLs to various places on C drive) - this needs to work on machines that don't have SQL installed

However once i update DTS to include some dynamic properties, i can't seem to call it from machine of users who don't have SQL. DTS itself works fine

Do i have to copy any othe DLLs for this ?

thanks

• Have a look at the following article http://www.sqldts.com/default.aspx?208.  I think it may help with your issue.  I think you need to make sure that a) you make all of the steps of the package execute on the Main package Thread, b) make sure you are calling your package from the remote server.  You want it to run there and not on the local machine.  Also, you'll need to remove anythign from the package where you are using (local) is connection strings and such, Specify everything. 

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

• can't seem to make it work

My first version worked, but after i added dynamic properties

users get error -2147221005

Invalid class string

can they point to users C drive or it has t obe to the network ? i tried both, same results

• What does the Dynamic Properties Task change?

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

• assigns value to global variable

DefExpFullPath = C:\xxxx.csv

assigns value to DataSource property of Text Connection to be DefExpFullPath

----

in a previous version (which works for other users) TextConnection was always pointing to same location

• I beleive that may be part of the problem.  When you are creating that connection and the DTS package is running from the server it thinks you want to write to c:\ or the Server.   not C:\ or the local computer.  You may need to explicitly state where that file will be, servername\sharename\file.csv.  Also permissions will be an issue for you.

• i thought about that after your previous email, and changed it a root of some of drive. (and deleted from c\temp) still works for me (and i can see its avtually using that drive) but not for them. All versions work on PC

And thats most frustrating thing is my coworker copied  my front end to be used by different department for different dts, and installed enterpraise manager on person's PC (and told them to only use that machine) Works there !

• I'm still slightly confused as to why you need EM to execute the DTS package, but oh well... Can you tell me what kind of permissions you are giving them?  You'll need to make sure it's failry restrictive if that's how you are letting them run the DTS jobs. 

You could also expiriment just using the Microsoft SQL Server 2000 DTS Designer Components It's a supplemental Download for SQL 05.  It can be found here.  http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=d09c1d60-a13c-4479-9b91-9e8b9d835cdc&displaylang=en.  It will make sure you have all of the Dlls and registry entries in the proper place so that you don't have to deploy EM to your users.

• well when you install EM, u also install all the needed DLLs. Including some that are necessary to run DTS from a pc that has no EM.

I am not installing it on anyones machine (yet)

i am copying all dlls from the site below, let me look at the one u gave

http://www.sqldts.com/default.aspx?225

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply