Script Procs - but not alter/create

• We have a need for developers to be able to look at the procs (*script them out as create to new window) but do not want them to be able to execute the create/alter statements. What is the correct permission to be able to accomplish this. I granted VIEW DEFINITION but they can still not script them out

• Permission to syscomments somehow?

Honestly the way to handle this is ensure your code is in a version control system. Keeping it on the server isn't really VCS.

• have you tried sp_helptext. with view definition rights should work

---------------------------------------------------------------------

• I understand their code should not be on the server. The way our organization works, is the development teams are responsible for their own source control - and they have lost control. That is the first point I brought up to them, but they went over my head to get approval for having rights to look at procs on the server itself

• Using Sql Server Management Studio

1. Press F8 key to display Object Explorer

2. Right click on the database name

3. Select "Task"

4. Select "Generate Scripts"

5. Script Wizard will display

6. Follow steps in Script Wizard and script all stored procedures to a file.

7. Supply the text file to your developers.

Ergo then can read the scripts for each and every stored procedure, but can not create or alter them in the database, which I believe is your objective.

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read[/url]
    Before posting a performance problem please read[/url]

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply