Server and service manager

• Hi guys,

I'm sure this is a very very easy thing for you guys, looks like im really hopeless in getting this done.

First I have two computers.

1 - Server - Has the database

2 - Other computer which will access it.

I think i have set up the server all right.

What I want to do now is set the agent in the other computer. I have installed SQL 2000 in it as well. When I open the service manager I cannot see the "SERVER" under the combo where i can select the server.

Can anyone please help me

• SQLAgent runs and accesses the computer on which it is running. You cannot remotely deploy the agent.

What do you want the Agent to do? Perhaps there's a way around it.

• may be im asking he wrong qestion here. im basically creating a b application with database etc.

when data is entered from multiple comps it needs to come and gets stored on the Server comp. so i install the client and servver everythin on the serer computer. then only the client component on client computers. but how do i tell the client computers to use the "server" computer/database as the server.

im sorry the server thingi is bit confusin. i've name the server computer as"server" as well. i hope this explains the question.

• I think he's just looking for a standard client / server set up.

First, to make the server automatically appear in the client side tools, you need to make sure you start the SQL Browser service on the "server". That broadcasts the server as available. However you don't need to do this, you can simply type in the server name or the IP address. Also, you can add it to the local (client) computer via the Network Configuration tool.

Now some more general comments. I'm assuming you have connectivity between your computers. (Make sure you can ping the server). You've mentioned that you've "named" the server, "server", so my guess is you're setting this up on a small, private LAN. On your "client' machine, in your hosts file (C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc), make sure you're set up an IP to name entry.

Recommendation: don't call the server, "server" (too confusing). Instead, call it "myServer" or something a little more distinctive.

As an additional note, since you're just starting in this environment, I'd suggest you move to SQL 2005.

If you're still having problems, post back wth the names of each of the machines and the OS versions, for more specific instructions.

• Hi dave,

thanks for the advice. I check the sql browser service in services.msc and it is running.

Somehow I've managed to get MyServer Under the server selection in sql server service manager but when i select it and click on services it says access denied on the client computer.

On the myServer computer the service running under service in server service manager is "SQL Server".

It may be a login problem what i have used the same password in the all computers and the username too so i just dunno what im doin wrong. cn u plz help me.

Both computers (server and client) has xp service pack 2 installed.

Can anyone please help me

thanks in advance

Dileep

• Make sure you're running Integrated and SQL Login configurations.

It's been awhile since SQL 2000, but as I recall the default "sa" password should be blank. (Try logging in with user ID "sa" and no password.)

If you're not running a domain server, it can be a little tedious getting integrated authentication working smoothly. There's a free SAML service you can download from Microsoft, but if you don't have experience setting up domains, avoid that for now.

On myServer, connect / login to SQL Server and add an account (via Enterprise Manager). Don't forget to ensure that it has access to some database.

Check which protocol you're connecting with. SQL 2000 defaults to named pipes, which isn't always installed automatically on Windows machines. I recommend you conect via TCP/IP (better standard).

Check the SQL Listener on myServer, and make sure TCP/IP is activated (default port should be 1433).

Good luck.

• Hi dave,

help please. hehe. i tried every thing u said but still with no luck. I tried the server network utility and client network utility. both using tcp/ip. firewalls turned off as well.

when i select myserver in client computer's "SQL SERVER SERVICE MANAGER" it says access is denied. I tried logging in all the usernames. sa, admin everythin i created new admin accounts. they all log in fine via enterprise manager. but in the clients computer all it says is access is denied. I am losing all hope can u please help me to sort this out.

Dileep

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply