Service started then stopped....?

• Can't seem to get SQL Server up and running. Never had a problem before but all of a sudden when I try to start the service, it gives me the message "The MSSQLSERVER service on local computer has started then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they have no work to do...". Anyone know what this is about? Did I shut down a dependant service somewhere by accident? Thanks in advance for any thoughts on getting this back online.

• The SQLSERVERAGENT is the dependent service.

I would suggest that you try going under the services applet on the control panel and try firing from there.

While you're in there check what ID the service fires off of. If it isn't the LocalSystem account, make sure the user account it does use isn't locked out.

Also check in the event viewer for the error messages.

----------------
    Jim P.

A little bit of this and a little byte of that can cause bloatware.

• I once had a similar problem with different error message. Actually the message was logged in Event Viewer. I'm not sure whether yours is the same as the one I've mentioned but it was solved after I have upgraded MDAC to 2.8

• Have you looked in the SQL Server errorlog file ? (C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\LOG\errorlog --> default installatino, default instance). The System and Application event logs are next. Then, if you are not using LocalSystem for the services, I'd also browse the Security log as well.

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

• I had this in the past.  Especially moving the server from different networks.  I am guessing it has something to do with the SID.  We used a domain account with local admin rights to the box to start the service.  SQL would start but the agent would "start & stop".  Remove the user from the security portion of SQL then add him back.  That should get all the ducks in a row and the agent should start.

Hope this helps.

Matt Ihle

• Hi,

I am facing the same issue on a msde install of SQL while installing SharePoint Services. I used the local account and this is the same account being used by SQL server instance which runs.

Please tell me how can I resolve this?

Thanks.

• I'm having the same start then immediate stop issue on an install of enterprise edition to windows small business server. Please post any progress.

• Hi,

I got the same error.  I am not sure why, but I figured that it got that error because I moved the clock to one month before the actual date.  The SQL service starts normally after I changed the clock back to the correct time.

~Wilson

• In my case it started to happen after the evaluation period for SQL Server was over. It puts the message in the error logs.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply