Sleepy SQL Reporting Services

• Apologies, as this is likely a repeat posting of a common issue. We have a reporting server that goes to sleep after usage in the evening. Subsequently, people in the morning become impatient for the services to start, and report Helpdesk tickets that the server is down.

Once the server is up, it responds quickly. So, what settings do I have wrong on the server to keep it running at all times? What is the reason that the service would sleep anyway?

OS Name Microsoft(R) Windows(R) Server 2003 Standard x64 Edition

Version 5.2.3790 Service Pack 2 Build 3790

System Manufacturer Dell Inc.

System Model PowerEdge 2950

System Type x64-based PC

Total Physical Memory 16,378.64 MB

Available Physical Memory 13.73 GB

Total Virtual Memory 17.40 GB

Available Virtual Memory 15.45 GB

Page File Space 2.00 GB

Thank you.

• As a follow-up, I did find a posting that describes a change in IIS for the Application Pools.

http://blog.stevienova.com/2009/01/27/sql-server-2005-reporting-services-fix-slow-loading-on-first-report-load/

Instruction was to simply uncheck the "idle timeout" which by default is checked with a 20 min threshold. However, the issue persists.

As it turns out, it was the Recycling setting, which was 20 minutes. We removed this to recycle the worker process. It is super quick now, but I am worried about unintended side-effects. We have a little over 300 reports/day, so it is fairly light compared to most environments.

Anyone know if this will cause issues?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply