SnowCrash for SQL Server

• No games console here either. I did try darts a friend's Wii recently and concluded that I would rather be chucking proper arrows whilst sinking a pint or two! 🙂 The problem is finding a pub with a dartboard.. 🙁 At a local care home H&S have decreed they have to use darts with rubber suckers - I find that an insult to those physically and mental fit enough to throw the real ones!

• I'd like to be able to step into the world of my servers.

Take a stroll through the database, walk around checking up on the tables.

Looking at it from inside would be a vantage point unlike any other.

It could even offer some insight that you have previously missed.

Optimize and build views with a wave of your hand.

Data warehousing, I can picture walking through the Home Depot of data, and building custom reports and projects, visualizations from the stockpile.

If VR and SQL ever become a reality, sign me up.

• I thought of this while reading the Warstrider series (#4 I think), where the IT security guy had a VR sim of activity on the network, seeing different fish or structures that represented things.

In terms of databases, perhaps you want to build a simulation that visualizes the workload, including security. Maybe you're a skier, so you're constantly going down a slope, and other "users" appear to be going down with you. The size of the user, or speed (or both), might represent the amount of resources, or data, or something else they're querying. If you "touch" one, you get details on tables accessed or process work. Maybe blocking visualizes as trees that slow users down. Maybe deadlocks are crashes. Perhaps security issues appear in some other way.

The idea in some scenarios is that we change visualizations to a way that's easier for the user to understand. If you're mechanical, maybe you're virtually looking at an engine of some sort, and the workload surfaces in another way.

If it's something you understand in the VR world, perhaps you notice anomalies or issues quicker. Or you are more interested in solving them.

• [font="Arial"]I like the ski slope analogy.

Perhaps a server could be a chairlift, or even better; the mountain.

The Database is a gondola, or classic chair-lift.

On your ride up, you can see the various paths to take, which could be the tables, and see how the paths JOIN together to form newer exciting routes down the mountain.

Many possibilities. [/font]

• I'll be going straight for the Après-ski!!!

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

• google psdoom

• Gary Varga (4/1/2016)

I'll be going straight for the Après-ski!!!

Might go for a game of real darts whilst relaxing with a drink! 🙂

• The reality of today is the science fiction of yesterday.

• Just saw this post. Some thoughts on this.

A 3D info environment needs to be able to take advantage of what VR has to offer in addition to new ways of interacting inside of it. Ideally what we would need is a VR version of Management Studio and all of the other tools. Think of a version of SQL Prompt where one uses either voice or chording sequences aka Oculus Touch to input commands.

We have become so accustomed to using keyboard and mouse our entire IT careers that it is hard to think of any other way of human computer interaction on a full-time basis. But that is exactly what VR is going to force us to do- to learn new interfaces and languages for communication. For example, the web browser in GearVR is voice command enabled, you don't type with the headset on.

Running SQL from inside a VR enabled game engine is something I have been following and am deeply interested in. Take a look at this post on the Unreal Engine forum: https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?93929-MS-SQL-Integration-for-UE4

Once it is on the Unreal Marketplace I will buy it and try it out.

And from last year's contest: https://www.unrealengine.com/news/big-data-vr-challenge-gets-under-way-with-an-international-line-up

So it could be closer than we realize!

This is one way of staying in VR all of the time is to use an app like Virtual Desktop. I tried the old version but this new one looks interesting too: http://store.steampowered.com/app/382110/

I am working on a whole new version of my Life Cycle of a Query in VR for SQLSat Houston using Unreal Engine 4. I have my work cut out for me.

• Hopefully the interface is better than that of SSIS.

Just imagine:

"In SQL Server 2023 you can create an VR ETL job by walking down the hall, entering the restroom and performing a "Clean" or a "Dump"."

• Amen... we definitely need a new metaphor. IMO, the windows and folder abstraction is increasingly a 'square peg for a round hole' solution. If I was starting a software company I would be sure to include some game designers or at least interview them. Our toolset is a big part of the dilemma: you can't economically deploy visually rich (or can you?) and complex objects on a large, flexible scale. By design, our toolset is relatively simple so that it can be flexible. No?

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply