sql across a VPN, minimizing network traffic

• SQL across a VPN, minimizing network traffic.

I am running sql server compact edition and have several PC's attached running via a vpn(hamachi)

this does not look like the best way to run it as i get several PC's in via hamachi and they are all from the same LAN network, yes i know swap the server location, but that is not great for me, as i do the design of the programs. we will have 2 in the end but for now i am after a solution.

so i need to send data to 1 pc in the other network and have them distribute the data over the LAN

whats the best way to do it?

• sorry I am running express 2005 edition

any advise please?

Jon

• You could upgrade to SQL server Std Edition and setup some replication. Std ed on one end as the publisher and SQL Express on the other end as the subscriber.

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

• Since you are using SQL Server 2005 Express, you face quite a few limitations on how to distribute the data. How much data are we talking about?

I could see taking backups of the "main" db and copying and restoring those backups to the "remote" dbs, or a SSIS package to Select the data from the "main" db and Insert the data into the "remote" dbs. I personally would be more comfortable with the former, but it will really depend on the amount of data.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply