SQL Agent problem

• I installed SQL Server 2008 successfully on my XP system last week but now an annoying "black box" appears on the screen. It looks like a command prompt box but there is no command prompt and I can't enter anything in it. I can minimize it. I can close it but it reappears several seconds later. Its properties are only about the font and color, etc. The box has a heading of:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\Binn\SQLAgent.EXE

If I stop the SQL Agent service, it goes away but then I can't open SQL Management Studio without going back and restarting SQL Agent.

• glee33 (10/20/2008)

I installed SQL Server 2008 successfully on my XP system last week but now an annoying "black box" appears on the screen. It looks like a command prompt box but there is no command prompt and I can't enter anything in it. I can minimize it. I can close it but it reappears several seconds later. Its properties are only about the font and color, etc. The box has a heading of:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\Binn\SQLAgent.EXE

If I stop the SQL Agent service, it goes away but then I can't open SQL Management Studio without going back and restarting SQL Agent.

Sounds like an undocumented feature 😀 Are you running cumulative update 1 for 2008?

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/956717

• Actually I got rid of it by reinstalling. 🙂

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply