SQL DB Engine 2012 Page Life Expectancy and Buffer Chache Hit Ratio is too low

• Hello,

Our server administrator forwarded some messages from SCOM that indicate:

SQL DB Engine 2012 Page Life Expectancy and Buffer Cache Hit Ratio is too low

When I logged into the offending server, I could not find anything in the SQL Log File that indicates this.

I was wondering how did SCOM identify this issue - where in SQL Server would this have been reported to SCOM?

Thanks for any help on this.

• They're not in the log file. They're perfmon counters.

Don't believe everything SCOM tells you. Buffer cache hit ratio is a fairly useless counter.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • I appreciate the reply. Our server administrator is demanding that this be corrected. He believes everything SCOM tells him. I am not sure where start, do you have any recommendations?

• defyant_2004 (9/12/2014)

I appreciate the reply. Our server administrator is demanding that this be corrected. He believes everything SCOM tells him. I am not sure where start, do you have any recommendations?

Yup, Google.

Search for both terms, do a lot of reading, make sure you understand what they show what high/low means, then have a chat with your sysadmin. Especially read anything the search finds by Jonathan Kehayias.

If you want a quick way to shut the sysadmin up, tell him that the low values mean you need more physical memory in the server. 🙂 It's not entirely true, though there's an aspect of truth, both are memory-related.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply