SQL or Oracle

• Bruce W Cassidy (2/16/2009)

[font="Verdana"]

I have yet to see a business judge an RDBMS on "which is easier to program in?"

[/font]

At least on 2006 the business chose Oracle 😉

Cannot find anything more recent of the same weight/popularity...

Gints Plivna
    http://www.gplivna.eu

• Jeff Moden (2/16/2009)

Business needs to start considering "which is easier to program in?"

[font="Verdana"]Pulls out the choir robes and the preacher robe Which do you wanna wear?[/font]

• Perry Whittle (2/16/2009)

Jeff Moden (2/15/2009)

Heh... that's one man's opinion. Anything that won't even allow for more than a 30 character object name certainly isn't the most flexible of the two. And, how do YOU return a result set from a stored procedure?

oohh lordy, is that a fresh bucket o pork chops i smell in the wind :unsure:

Yeahh and that's after I've at least twice shown him how to print refcursor in SQL*Plus 😉 He's really spiteful, I wonder how he adopts new technologies 😀

Gints Plivna

• At least on 2006 the business chose Oracle

I don't think those sales translate to business choice because I was in a project using both SQL Server and Oracle that I know was wasting more than 1mill because most SQL Server features are not used. So I assume someone is giving sales commission to a friend.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• gints.plivna (2/16/2009)

[font="Verdana"]No surprises there. Well, hang on... Unix is still more popular than Linux? Yeah, that's a surprise. Oracle has gone into supporting Linux big time, and I know IBM support it as well.

One thought about why I would choose Oracle over SQL Server from a developers point of view: if I was writing n-tier Java applications, Oracle would be a better choice, due to incorporation of Java in the database. So I could write Java gateway procedures for storing and retrieving data in an object form. Being able to support Java in both the back end and middle tiers should result in some productivity gains.

I don't know how well Microsoft support Java connected to SQL Server (not tried it), although I do know they produce a JDBC driver for it. So perhaps this point is entirely moot.

(Yes, I prefer .Net to Java. Wanna make something of it?)

[/font]

• gints.plivna (2/16/2009)

Perry Whittle (2/16/2009)

Jeff Moden (2/15/2009)

Heh... that's one man's opinion. Anything that won't even allow for more than a 30 character object name certainly isn't the most flexible of the two. And, how do YOU return a result set from a stored procedure?

oohh lordy, is that a fresh bucket o pork chops i smell in the wind :unsure:

Yeahh and that's after I've at least twice shown him how to print refcursor in SQL*Plus 😉 He's really spiteful, I wonder how he adopts new technologies 😀

Now why do you have to lower the quality of this conversation to calling me "spiteful". And I didn't need you to show me how to use a bloody Ref Cursor... I knew and it was a rhetorical question indicating that it wasn't necessary to do such a thing in SQL Server.

And, adopting new technology isn't a problem so long as it actually does something worthwhile. I find that most new technologies are just the same old Ritz with a new wrapper that they charge extra for. I find that a lot of people are simply blinded by the glitter of supposed new technologies.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

gints.plivna (2/16/2009)

[font="Verdana"]No surprises there. Well, hang on... Unix is still more popular than Linux? Yeah, that's a surprise. Oracle has gone into supporting Linux big time, and I know IBM support it as well.

One thought about why I would choose Oracle over SQL Server from a developers point of view: if I was writing n-tier Java applications, Oracle would be a better choice, due to incorporation of Java in the database. So I could write Java gateway procedures for storing and retrieving data in an object form. Being able to support Java in both the back end and middle tiers should result in some productivity gains.

I don't know how well Microsoft support Java connected to SQL Server (not tried it), although I do know they produce a JDBC driver for it. So perhaps this point is entirely moot.

(Yes, I prefer .Net to Java. Wanna make something of it?)

[/font]

Isn't that what they developed "hibernate" for? 😉

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Gift Peddie (2/16/2009)

At least on 2006 the business chose Oracle

I don't think those sales translate to business choice because I was in a project using both SQL Server and Oracle that I know was wasting more than 1mill because most SQL Server features are not used. So I assume someone is giving sales commission to a friend.

[font="Verdana"]Ah yes. The "who plays golf with whom" business driver (pun semi-intended). So next time you have to implement Oracle, remember to yell "fore!"[/font]

Gift Peddie (2/16/2009)

At least on 2006 the business chose Oracle

[font="Verdana"]Ah yes. The "who plays golf with whom" business driver (pun semi-intended). So next time you have to implement Oracle, remember to yell "fore!"[/font]

Now, THAT's freakin' funny! Thanks for the laugh, Bruce! 😀

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden (2/16/2009)

I didn't need you to show me how to use a bloody Ref Cursor... I knew and it was a rhetorical question indicating that it wasn't necessary to do such a thing in SQL Server.

[font="Verdana"]I'm still waiting for the deluge of posts to tell us how much people miss REF CURSOR from Oracle... :hehe:[/font]

• Calm down people ... Calm down...:D It is a Monday afternoon...:D Not the best day to have arguments.... 😉

-Roy

• Roy Ernest (2/16/2009)

Calm down people ... Calm down...:D It is a Monday afternoon...:D Not the best day to have arguments.... 😉

[font="Verdana"]Tuesday morning here. My Dr said I'm allowed to have arguments on Tuesdays. I even brought buns! :w00t:[/font]

• Roy Ernest (2/16/2009)

Calm down people ... Calm down...:D It is a Monday afternoon...:D Not the best day to have arguments.... 😉

It's a GREAT day for arguments! 😛 Too bad we're not having one. I was just expressing my opinion and someone turned it around and started calling me names like "spiteful" and wondering how I dealt "with new technology". Totally ad hominem and totally unnecessary.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden (2/16/2009)

It's a GREAT day for arguments! 😛 Too bad we're not having one.

[font="Verdana"]Wait! All is not lost! Now we are arguing about whether we are having an argument... a meta-argument! :w00t:[/font]

• Jeff Moden (2/16/2009)

Roy Ernest (2/16/2009)

It's a GREAT day for arguments! 😛 Too bad we're not having one. I was just expressing my opinion and someone turned it around and started calling me names like "spiteful" and wondering how I dealt "with new technology". Totally ad hominem and totally unnecessary.

Yeahh, I was trying to add smilies as much as I could there, but anyway it probably was unclear. That's the problem of not being tete-a-tete 🙁

So it was meant completely as joke and I'm sorry if it didn't look like that.

Gints Plivna

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 250 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply