SQL or Oracle

• gints.plivna (2/16/2009)

Jeff Moden (2/16/2009)

Roy Ernest (2/16/2009)

Calm down people ... Calm down...:D It is a Monday afternoon...:D Not the best day to have arguments.... 😉

It's a GREAT day for arguments! 😛 Too bad we're not having one. I was just expressing my opinion and someone turned it around and started calling me names like "spiteful" and wondering how I dealt "with new technology". Totally ad hominem and totally unnecessary.

Yeahh, I was trying to add smilies as much as I could there, but anyway it probably was unclear. That's the problem of not being tete-a-tete 🙁

So it was meant completely as joke and I'm sorry if it didn't look like that.

Calling me "spiteful" was unclear? Gints, even if I knew you real well and we were tete-a-tete, I'd still take that personally no matter how many smiley faces you put on something. Let's keep this "all pro" from now on. It's certainly ok to joke... just not that way.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Jeff Moden (2/16/2009)

gints.plivna (2/16/2009)

Jeff Moden (2/16/2009)

Roy Ernest (2/16/2009)

Calm down people ... Calm down...:D It is a Monday afternoon...:D Not the best day to have arguments.... 😉

It's a GREAT day for arguments! 😛 Too bad we're not having one. I was just expressing my opinion and someone turned it around and started calling me names like "spiteful" and wondering how I dealt "with new technology". Totally ad hominem and totally unnecessary.

Yeahh, I was trying to add smilies as much as I could there, but anyway it probably was unclear. That's the problem of not being tete-a-tete 🙁

So it was meant completely as joke and I'm sorry if it didn't look like that.

Calling me "spiteful" was unclear? Gints, even if I knew you real well and we were tete-a-tete, I'd still take that personally no matter how many smiley faces you put on something. Let's keep this "all pro" from now on. It's certainly ok to joke... just not that way.

Jeff, change the label in your avatar to read Gints. Now, feel any better?

Max

• Max (2/16/2009)

Not yet... but that helps some. 😛

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• GSquared (2/2/2009)

tosscrosby (2/2/2009)

Jeff Moden (2/1/2009)

Of course, I used to think punched cards and wired program boards were a lot of fun, too! 😛

You should see the faces of the young-un's here when I mention that in HS and college, I coded on punched cards. They think it's some kind of a joke. And, man, if you dropped that stack without having numbered those cards........back to the key-punch machine! The tykes of today just don't have a clue about the hardships we faced!! 😛

Yeah, yeah. And when I was in high school, I had to ride horses through the snow, up hill, in the woods, to get home from school, and chop wood with an axe and build a fire to keep from freezing to death... oh wait ... that's true. Never mind.

You had a horse? You must have been rich. I had to walk...uphill...both ways.

• Bruce W Cassidy (2/16/2009)

[font="Verdana"]I have yet to see a business judge an RDBMS on "which is easier to program in?"

[/font]

I've seen three that made that exact decision. As part of the total cost and ROI calculations, they wanted to know which would be faster and easier to build apps and reports in (the database portions of those). Various things were considered, and Oracle and Cache (OODBMS) were rejected in favor of MS SQL after everything was taken into account, including speed/ease of dev/refact/debug.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Bert (2/17/2009)

GSquared (2/2/2009)

tosscrosby (2/2/2009)

Jeff Moden (2/1/2009)

Of course, I used to think punched cards and wired program boards were a lot of fun, too! 😛

You should see the faces of the young-un's here when I mention that in HS and college, I coded on punched cards. They think it's some kind of a joke. And, man, if you dropped that stack without having numbered those cards........back to the key-punch machine! The tykes of today just don't have a clue about the hardships we faced!! 😛

Yeah, yeah. And when I was in high school, I had to ride horses through the snow, up hill, in the woods, to get home from school, and chop wood with an axe and build a fire to keep from freezing to death... oh wait ... that's true. Never mind.

You had a horse? You must have been rich. I had to walk...uphill...both ways.

We were so filthy rich that we had THREE horses, which meant it was only two people per horse! So take that! I was making almost $20/month in income ALL BY MYSELF at that time! Yep!

It was only uphill one way for me. Going to the schoolbus meant a 3-mile downhill sled ride (or skiis sometimes), then four miles downhill in the car (a VW Bug, of course), then it was about 18 miles on the bus itself. Coming home was bus, car, then three miles on horseback through the snow, but that part was uphill.

The sled ride first thing in the morning was pretty fun. Especially one time when my stepbrother lost control, went over the berm left by the snowplow at its turnaround, flew all the way across the turnaround and ended up burried head-first up to his ankles in the opposite berm! Little voice from deep inside the snow "Help! Help!" Now THAT was funny!

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Man, you guys are so lucky, we were so poor I had to push the horse up the hill. 😉

Max

• Max (2/17/2009)

Man, you guys are so lucky, we were so poor I had to push the horse up the hill. 😉

Sisyphus move over! New guy with version 2.0 is here! 🙂

Property of The Thread

• Sisyphus move over! New guy with version 2.0 is here!

The pesky problem of a Sisyphean task.

:Whistling:

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• Well we have 4 horses, and while they go up the hill easily, it's the picking up behind them that's not much fun 😛

• [font="Verdana"]Could be worse. Could be elephants.[/font]

• Back to the topic at hand (at least for the moment). Both products have their place or else they both would not exist. Where I may only be MS SQL Server trained, if I were offered (and accepted) a position where i would need to learn Oracle, then I would do my best to learn how best use it to its max.

If what I learned in MS SQL Server works there to improve performance, then great. If I have to modify my thinking and change how I do some things, then I would.

I will say this, however, I would continue working with MS SQL Server at home and keep my skills there up and current.

• Lynn Pettis (2/17/2009)

Back to the topic at hand (at least for the moment). Both products have their place or else they both would not exist. Where I may only be MS SQL Server trained, if I were offered (and accepted) a position where i would need to learn Oracle, then I would do my best to learn how best use it to its max.

If what I learned in MS SQL Server works there to improve performance, then great. If I have to modify my thinking and change how I do some things, then I would.

I will say this, however, I would continue working with MS SQL Server at home and keep my skills there up and current.

Ditto! (As Taggart said to Hedley Lamarr.)

Property of The Thread

• GSquared (2/17/2009)

Sisyphus move over! New guy with version 2.0 is here! 🙂

Guess you're referring to Oracle, I do certainly see parallels. 😉

Max

• Lynn Pettis (2/17/2009)

Back to the topic at hand (at least for the moment). Both products have their place or else they both would not exist. Where I may only be MS SQL Server trained, if I were offered (and accepted) a position where i would need to learn Oracle, then I would do my best to learn how best use it to its max.

Heh... I did exactly that. Even taught some of the "grownups" a thing or two about how to write some very speedy code in Oracle. Hell, I was one of the 3 person team that designed and implemented the new OSS for the company... and everytime I touched it, I loathed it it all the more. 😛

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 250 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply