SQL Server 2000 Installation Help

• Hi fellas,

I have a small workgroup. there is no domain a simple small usual network of 5 - 7 computers. I am thinking of installing windows server 2003 and installing sql server 2000 enterprise edition in it. The server holds a database which holds sales information which are entered through other computers in the network.

My question is when installing sql 2000 enterprise edition it asks which login mode should i choose?

should i chose the default which is selected to the domain a/c or should i change it to the local system a/c?

can any one please advice on which i should choose and if possible the pros and cons of each method.

thanks a million in advance

Elabuwa

• Elabuwa,

up to a point it does not matter as you can always change it later after the install (though a bounce of SQL will be required)

If SQL does not need to perform any actions over the network (backups, log shipping) then local system will be fine.

In your scenario most people would would set up a local account and run SQL services under that. This account at least needs 'log on as a service' rights but best bet put it in local admin group.

look up service accounts in BOL and the web

---------------------------------------------------------------------

• You can use Local System, but if you do need to access, the network, don't put the service account into the admin group. Instead create a regular user account, no rights. Then use the SQL Server Enterprise Manager to change to the user account you created. It will assign the rights needed.

• see article

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa176564.aspx

which explains service account options. Also lists a few reasons why you might require the account to have admin rights

---------------------------------------------------------------------

• thanks guys.

i will check on the web for more information. and thank yoiu for pointing me on the right way

elabuwa

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply