SQL Server 2005 training

• There's a huge difference between SS 2000 and 2005 and most of my experience has been in SQL Server 2000. I'd like to take some courses in 2005 to upgrade my skill sets. Does anyone have any recommendations on companies that offer these courses? I'm located in southeastern PA in King of Prussia, PA. I've looked at courses from New Horizon Learning Center and they look very comprehensive, so is the cost. I have seen similar courses for less money. However, I'm looking for the best bang for my buck. If the expensive courses are better, then I'll take them.

Would like to know if anyone here can recommend any companies/schools that offer SQL Server 2005 courses, preferably from personal experience. Thanks.

• I don't have any recommendations for who can offer training but I have one item for you to consider.

Are you working, or will you soon be working, with SQL 2005 but not SQL 2008? If not then you might want to consider SQL 2008 instead. The majority of what you need to know about SQL 2005 would be covered in SQL 2008 training, except for Notification Servises, also apply to SQL 2008, but there are a number of new things in SQL 2008 that would not be covered in SQL 2005. Getting training in both would be even better.

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• I've been in touch with some of the guys at a SQLServerCentral related site http://www.sqlshare.com/ to build on skills i do not get to use every day.

I met a few of the people there at a previous PASS conference in Orlando.

They offer a variety of classes. I'm what i think of as a more advanced user, so there are sections of their courses I would skip over due to my experience, and would prefer more time on other subjects that i never play with(Clustering and Replication for example).

When I inquired about that,they were very accomodating in trying to come up with a plan to cover the materials I was interested in. We did not schedule anything yet, but plan to in the future, specifically because they were flexible as far as content.

Every time i've contacted New Horizons, it's locked into a course and schedule, which may or may not be taught depending on if they get enough bodies to justify teaching the course. no flexibility, and just sit quietly thru stuff that you already know.

Call them at sqlshare, and ask them to not only customize the material to your needs for a one on one, but also do it over the internet and phone using Remote Desktop Connection/ GoToMeeting/ LiveMeeting/ VNC/ TeamViewer or whatever remote access program you might prefer;

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• I know the SQL Share guys quite well and they are definitely better than the Microsoft course you'll get at New Horizons.

User Groups and SQLSaturday's are good as well.

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• I would focus on 2008 more than 2005.

I also like the recommendation to use SQLShare rather than New Horizons. I haven't been too impressed by any course that I took there (and am typically anti formal course training due to having been required to take a course at NH in the past). However, looking over the SQLShare stuff, it looks pretty good.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply