SQL Server 2008 Installation

• Hello friends,

Can we install SQL Server 2008 Enterprise Edition on Windows XP (which is a Desktop operating Sysem).??

if we can do that what are the pre-requistes?

Thanks in Advance.

• No - it is not supported, even if you could get it to install. Why do you want to install on a desktop?

Jeffrey Williams
    Problems are opportunities brilliantly disguised as insurmountable obstacles.

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• Hi Jeff,

Even i got the same question in my mind. SQL Server Server Edition can only be installed on OS Server. but i have seen the scenario in an environment. That is the reason why i want to clarify on this.

• mahesh.vsp (8/4/2009)

Hi Jeff,

Even i got the same question in my mind. SQL Server Server Edition can only be installed on OS Server. but i have seen the scenario in an environment. That is the reason why i want to clarify on this.

I am not sure what you are saying here - are you saying that you have seen someone running Enterprise Edition on XP? I wouldn't doubt it, I know I have seen that it was possible for CTP version - and could even still be possible with RTM. Either way, it is not supported by Microsoft and there really is no reason to do so.

If you need those features on a desktop for development, then buy the Developers Edition for $50 US.

Jeffrey Williams
    Problems are opportunities brilliantly disguised as insurmountable obstacles.

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• Do you mean to say we can install the RTM version of SQL 2008 Enterprise Edition on XP????

I have also attached 2 screen shots.

• Hello mahesh.vsp,

Only Dev and evaluation editions runs over XP. So, perhaps the SQL Server that you see over XP is an MSSQL 2008 Enterprise Evaluation.

See:

Microsoft® SQL Server® 2008 Enterprise Evaluation: Trial Experience for IT Professionals

http://www.microsoft.com/downloadS/details.aspx?familyid=265F08BC-1874-4C81-83D8-0D48DBCE6297&displaylang=en#Requirements

there you can see the supported OS for the Enterprise Evaluation.

Supported Operating Systems: Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2; Windows Server 2008; Windows Vista; Windows Vista Service Pack 1; Windows XP Service Pack 2; Windows XP Service Pack 3

For complete informacion about system requirements for install MSSQL 2008 please check the following link:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143506.aspx

Victor Alvarez

http://sqlpost.blogspot.com/

• Thanks Victor.

Is there any query to retreive the whether to know it is an Evaluation and Developer Edition.

• mahesh.vsp (8/5/2009)

Thanks Victor.

Is there any query to retreive the whether to know it is an Evaluation and Developer Edition.

select @@version shows whether it is Evaluation or Developer Edition.

select @@version

Microsoft SQL Server 2008 (CTP) - 10.0.1442.32 (Intel X86) May 30 2008 00:02:15 Copyright (c) 1988-2007 Microsoft Corporation Enterprise Evaluation Edition on Windows NT 5.1 (Build 2600: Service Pack 2)

• U r right!

If you have a look at "SQLVersion.JPG" attachment , u can clearly see that it is Enterprise Edition but not an Evaluation version.

How did got installed on XP is my question? Am still not convinced!!

• I am certain that you can "Crowbar" install or Force install almost any M$ product on any matching (32bit or 64bit) version of any Windows OS.

What everyone is trying to tell you is that this is nothing special, and is not supported by anyone, anywhere as being a stable SQL Server environment.

A Licesnse for Window 2003 Server R2 is a fraction of what you spend on SQL Server Enterprise Edition, so why even waste resources running on XP.

Perhaps you should check out the Microsoft TechNet web site (http://technet.Microsoft.com) for the OS versions and Hardwares that MS will supprot your specific version of SQL Serverver on.

There is also an article on Technet about how to tell you exact product install and patch level from the information returned by "Select @@Version".

Reading this kind of information will help you better form your questions to get real answers.

• You can play with the installation rules and get Enterprise Edition installed on XP. Personally I cannot see any point in doing this apart from showing that it can be done.

If you want to get yourself a sandbox environment, then I recommend TechNet. This costs about GBP £250 in year 1 and about £200 to renew, with similar costs for other countries. TechNet allows you to use all the MS operating systems, server software, and Office for non-production use. At home I run W2008, and install SQL 2008 and other stuff on Hyper-V guests.

Original author: https://github.com/SQL-FineBuild/Common/wiki/ 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2019, 2017 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist - Archbishop Hélder Câmara

• I have the following version running on Windows XP SP3:

Microsoft SQL Server 2008 (SP1) - 10.0.2531.0 (Intel X86) Mar 29 2009 10:27:29 Copyright (c) 1988-2008 Microsoft Corporation Enterprise Edition on Windows NT 5.1 (Build 2600: Service Pack 3)

I installed it from the Microsoft DVD, using the normal installation routines: no warnings were given about the platform and no errors occurred.

It works fine, although being used for development purposes only.

• Even if you are using Enterprise Edition for development purposes only, you need a vaild license.

If you have a TechNet license, or the appropriate level of MSDN license, then you are covered. Otherwise you may have to get the normal Enterprise Edition license at about USD $20k.

If you are not sure of your license situation then I suggest you contact your IT Support team, and if they are not sure then contact Microsoft.

Original author: https://github.com/SQL-FineBuild/Common/wiki/ 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2019, 2017 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist - Archbishop Hélder Câmara

• MSDN Subscription: but the point is that it works!

• You say it works.

In what way?

What are the featrues specific to SQL Server Enterprise Edition that you have tested as working localy and from remote connections?

Are you able to set up a chain of Federated Databases using automated publishing to multiple subscirbers?

Can other servers schedule and execute SSIS packages running and stored on this SQL Server running on XP and expect the File management components to operate?

Most importantly, I know your install of SQL server Enterprise Edition can not take advantage of more than four processors or 16 - 32 GB of memeory.

Trying to keep things real here. Go Karts can race, but they are not race cars.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply