SQL Server 2012 - High Memory Usage

• audiocool (5/22/2015)

GilaMonster (5/22/2015)

audiocool (5/22/2015)

is the following service require to turn on

SQL Server Analysis Service ?

Are you planning to use it's features? Are you planning to build cubes, do data mining and the like on this server?

If so, then yes (though you probably would be better off using a different server). If not, then no.

I'm not sure what is the build cubes and data mining..

Our SQL server basically used for data exchange purposes (application <-> database)

Then SSAS is probably unnecessary.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Okay dude... you're out of your league, and you need help. You are starting to flail around, doing things that won't help just to do something. There are several people on this thread that have already told you that they can help you out. Please, do yourself and your company a favor... tell your boss that you need help to get this fixed, and bring some of these names to him. Three people trying to help you out here are Microsoft Certified Masters, and others on this thread are seasoned professionals. All are well qualified to help you out. Pick one, submit it to your boss as your preference, and let's get someone in there that can actually fix the problem. As you continue to flail, you're going to end up meddling with something that you shouldn't have, and end up causing more problems.

Please take this seriously. You really need someone that knows what they're doing hands on with your system to figure it out.

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• WayneS (5/22/2015)

Okay dude... you're out of your league, and you need help. You are starting to flail around, doing things that won't help just to do something. There are several people on this thread that have already told you that they can help you out. Please, do yourself and your company a favor... tell your boss that you need help to get this fixed, and bring some of these names to him. Three people trying to help you out here are Microsoft Certified Masters, and others on this thread are seasoned professionals. All are well qualified to help you out. Pick one, submit it to your boss as your preference, and let's get someone in there that can actually fix the problem. As you continue to flail, you're going to end up meddling with something that you shouldn't have, and end up causing more problems.

Please take this seriously. You really need someone that knows what they're doing hands on with your system to figure it out.

+1000

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• GilaMonster (5/22/2015)

audiocool (5/22/2015)

What is pending:

1) McAfee (Can't make any changes as setting is been locked by corporate team. Local IT also can't do anything. Will proceed after received feedback)

And the query tuning, which is most likely where you're going to get the most gains.

+1,000,000,000:-D

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• GilaMonster (5/22/2015)

Please ask him to make sure that configurations are per the Microsoft KB articles

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2033238 and https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/309422

IMHO - those recommendations are the lowest common denominator if you MUST have AV installed on a SQL box.

AV should never scan any volume containing data and log files. We can throw in there that it shouldn't scan volumes containing backups and traces as well.

Oh and even though they say on-access scan is disabled, I have seen it actively scan (especially McAfee) the database files. Just disabling AV on the server altogether has shown to provide 10-15% bumps in performance (even when configured according to the Microsoft recommendations).

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• SQLRNNR (5/22/2015)

GilaMonster (5/22/2015)

Please ask him to make sure that configurations are per the Microsoft KB articles

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2033238 and https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/309422

IMHO - those recommendations are the lowest common denominator if you MUST have AV installed on a SQL box.

AV should never scan any volume containing data and log files. We can throw in there that it shouldn't scan volumes containing backups and traces as well.

Oh and even though they say on-access scan is disabled, I have seen it actively scan (especially McAfee) the database files. Just disabling AV on the server altogether has shown to provide 10-15% bumps in performance (even when configured according to the Microsoft recommendations).

Piling on, the top 1 reason for not allowing RDP onto the SQL Servers is that any decent endpoint security policy will spawn a virus scanner (and more) on any system as you log on to it, the configuration of those may not be in line with MS Best Practices for virus scanners on an SQL Server and often the results are catastrophic.

😎

Echoing the fine advice of Wayne, Gail, Grant, Jeff, Jason and others, it's time to call in the ghost busters!

• Eirikur Eiriksson (5/22/2015)

Piling on, the top 1 reason for not allowing RDP onto the SQL Servers is that any decent endpoint security policy will spawn a virus scanner (and more) on any system as you log on to it, the configuration of those may not be in line with MS Best Practices for virus scanners on an SQL Server and often the results are catastrophic.

Plus an RDP session can easily consume a GB of memory idle. More if anything's actually being run.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • This thread has become a laundry list of worst practices!! 🙂

Best,
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012
    TheSQLGuru on googles mail service

• TheSQLGuru (5/23/2015)

This thread has become a laundry list of worst practices!! 🙂

That by itself presents an opportunity, care to do a write up?

😎

• HI Grant,

This is the current usage of the server since 2 days + after changes made (change OS page file, cost of threshold 5 -> 40, disable scan on mdf, ldf)

https://plus.google.com/photos/117684376666431281878/albums/6152605224083644465?authkey=CP2NmJ3pzb2oUw

Oh ya, you guys is always talking about RDP. What is the RDP you guys talking about ?

Is that Remote desktop connection ? If yes, we all login to SQL Server via Remote Desktop Connection.

If this is not recommended, what will the client use to remote in.

• audiocool (5/24/2015)

Oh ya, you guys is always talking about RDP. What is the RDP you guys talking about ?

Is that Remote desktop connection ? If yes, we all login to SQL Server via Remote Desktop Connection.

Yes, RDP is Remote Desktop Protocol / Remote Desktop Connection and it is should be avoided if possible as it can consume considerable amount of the server's resources etc.. As almost anything can be done on the server without RDP'ing on to it, my question is why does the client need to do it?

😎

• only a few of IT personnel will have authorize to access it. Access to server recently is to make changes on McAfee and check some of the message in Event Viewer.

If this is not recommended then which tools is good to use ? I know a few VNC Viewer, Ultrac VNC..

• audiocool (5/24/2015)

Well there's part of your problem.

Err, nothing. Remoting in to a production server should be a rare event, not an everyday occurrence. SQL can be managed remotely, many things can be done remotely. The administrators (and only the administrators) should remote in only when they absolutely need to

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (5/25/2015)

audiocool (5/24/2015)

Well there's part of your problem.

Err, nothing. Remoting in to a production server should be a rare event, not an everyday occurrence. SQL can be managed remotely, many things can be done remotely. The administrators (and only the administrators) should remote in only when they absolutely need to

+1

Event logs, for example, can be read from another machine without using RDP to log in.

• Eirikur Eiriksson (5/23/2015)

TheSQLGuru (5/23/2015)

This thread has become a laundry list of worst practices!! 🙂

That by itself presents an opportunity, care to do a write up?

😎

Nope, sorry. I don't like to create material. I don't blog or write books or articles or maintain a website for my consulting business. Hell, I don't even keep my resume up to date! 😀 Even the almost 300 sessions I have presented at SQL Saturday events have mostly been material that others graciously let me borrow.

Best,
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012
    TheSQLGuru on googles mail service

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 107 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply