SQL Server Backup vs VSS snapshot backup of database (VSS API+SQL Writer).

• I open this discussion to have different opinions about backups applications using VSS API snapshot + SQL Writer approach to backup SQL databases and SQL Server backup.

Can anyone give me the pros & cons of using VSS snapshot backups for full and differential backups vs SQL Server backup?

When VSS backups is better, why or opposite. If anybody has experience please share it with me.

Thanks you

Alena B

• VSS is for multiple data backups a day and usually used with SANs. say you need to backup a few times a day but all existing technologies are too slow and you absolutely can't have any performance degradation. you can use your SAN and backup software with VSS to snapshot to another set of disks and backup from there.

we used to do something similar but in a cheap way. we would snapshot databases once a day to another server and another set of disks on the SAN. then run the backup from there during the day. we had slow backup tech at the time and there was no way we could run from the production servers. now we have LTO-4 and run from the production servers with no issues

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply