SQL2008R2: Standard edition vs. Developer edition

• Hello,

My current SQL2k8R2 is Standard, I am looking for tracking changes in my database and came across some feature called Change Data Capture, and it seems the feature is not available to Standard edition but available in Developer edition.

By doing more searching it was suggested that from Standard to Developer is consider as a downgrade instead of upgrade.

This is confusing me: if Standard is to be downgraded to Developer, presumably it would lose some feature instead of get more feature, right?

It would be appreciated if someone can please correct me and point a way to get that Change Data Capture feature.

Thanks in advance.

• Developer edition is the equivalent of Enterprise edition in terms of features, but it is licensed for non-production usage only. You may not use it for production systems at all.

If you want CDC in production, Enterprise edition is your only option.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (10/16/2014)

Developer edition is the equivalent of Enterprise edition in terms of features, but it is licensed for non-production usage only. You may not use it for production systems at all.

Thanks.

• halifaxdal (10/16/2014)

GilaMonster (10/16/2014)

Developer edition is the equivalent of Enterprise edition in terms of features, but it is licensed for non-production usage only. You may not use it for production systems at all.

Thanks.

Right!

CDC is Enterprise-only feature which is why it is available in Developer Edition as well. You can use all the SQL Server features in Developer Edition for Non-Production use. But, Purchase a license when implementing the same on Production.

• vincyf1 (10/23/2014)

halifaxdal (10/16/2014)

GilaMonster (10/16/2014)

Thanks.

Right!

CDC is Enterprise-only feature which is why it is available in Developer Edition as well. You can use all the SQL Server features in Developer Edition for Non-Production use. But, Purchase a license when implementing the same on Production.

Thanks

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply